90K and climbing - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 Old 01-23-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up 90K and climbing

I haven't logged on here for awhile, just too busy I guess. Anyway, I just turned over 90K last week on my 2013. I love my 2013 so much I bought a 2016 last May. Only have 7K on it so far, still riding the 2013 most of the time.

These are just great bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90K.jpg (86.5 KB, 88 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 01-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Congratulations, what do they call you, "iron butt?"
post #3 of 81 Old 01-23-2018, 04:57 PM

NICE!!! I have 14k on my '14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 81 Old 01-23-2018, 08:17 PM

Pete, and maintenance issues? Valve adjustments, etc? That's a load of miles...well done.
omniron, Lag 4 and Gray Ninja like this.
post #5 of 81 Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 PM

Does your 2013 have abs brakes

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #6 of 81 Old 01-23-2018, 10:49 PM

Good question, look forward to hearing now much is needed in the way of maintenance to get that may miles and do you do all your own work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Pete, and maintenance issues? Valve adjustments, etc? That's a load of miles...well done.
adm2204 likes this.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #7 of 81 Old 01-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Wow.....wish I had time to ride that much. My 2013 has 23,000 but my riding is split between two bikes. Retiring in April so I should start racking up the miles.

Would really like to know a bit about your maintenance history, particularly the valve inspections. How many have you done and how many were out of spec at each check......most curious about the first one since I am about to do mine. What, if any, major unscheduled repairs have you done? How does she run at 90k plus??

I know that is asking a bit much but you may very well have the highest mileage Ninja 1000 and quite possibly the best indicator of what the rest of us can expect as we pile on the miles.
adm2204 and Gray Ninja like this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #8 of 81 Old 01-24-2018, 02:23 PM

Great to hear on that kind of mileage. I, too, have a '13 with ABS with 14K kms. Good to know I've got that kind of life left in mine and then some .. hopefully.

2013 N1K ABS
1994 Honda Goldwing SE
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
1982 Kawi KZ550

Tip #28 Get your hands ready ... learn to ride by "covering" with two fingers on your clutch and one (or two) fingers on your front brake at all times so that you're prepared for subtle bike nuances that you may need out of quick necessity. But be aware ! Don't 'stab' at your front brake and grab a handful ! Be subtle.
post #9 of 81 Old 01-24-2018, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmark101 View Post
Wow.....wish I had time to ride that much. My 2013 has 23,000 but my riding is split between two bikes. Retiring in April so I should start racking up the miles.

Would really like to know a bit about your maintenance history, particularly the valve inspections. How many have you done and how many were out of spec at each check......most curious about the first one since I am about to do mine. What, if any, major unscheduled repairs have you done? How does she run at 90k plus??

I know that is asking a bit much but you may very well have the highest mileage Ninja 1000 and quite possibly the best indicator of what the rest of us can expect as we pile on the miles.
Absolutely this. I, too am at around 23K and am looking ahead to any potential longer term issues/maintenance that I want to stay on top of. Congrats on 90K! Makes me hopeful I really can keep the Ninja around for many years.

From the point of ignition to the final drive
The point of the journey is not to arrive
-----------------------------------------------
Please excuse my verbosity
post #10 of 81 Old 01-24-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'll try and answer all your questions as soon as I can. But first off, you guys need to know that this is a commuter bike, so I am not hitting winding roads as much as I would like to. Not a lot of "hard on the gas and hard on the brakes" type riding. I try and go up to Big Bear and Arrowhead a couple times a year, especially in the summer. Probably 85% of those 90K miles are commuting. I get on the bike at 4:30am, go 2 miles to the freeway, hit 6th gear and go about 30 miles at 80-85 mph, slow down for a little traffic, maybe a couple miles of lane splitting, then go about 40 more miles at 80-85mph. Get off the freeway, go a couple miles to work. The afternoons are about the same, but a bit more traffic, so more shifting and lane splitting. Its 75 miles one way. So all that being said, my butt doesn't hurt. BUT, in the afternoons when it gets hot, my rocks are dying by the time I get home. I know, TMI...

A couple other items, it has V&H Brawlers (love those, need to get those for my 16). A K & N cleanable air filter. I also went with a 39 tooth rear sprocket that drops my RPM's down about 500 when cruising, compared to stock. That sprocket change also fixed the speedo from being off by about 5mph. It's now spot on, or really close. So for maintenance; I have never had the valves checked. I know, bad me. I figured I would get them checked/adjusted when I had the clutch replaced. Problem is, I am still on the original clutch. I have had lots of bikes over the years, mostly dirt bikes. So I have had my share of component failures over the years, including replacing clutches. I’m just not there yet on this bike. When the clutch starts to slip, I plan on taking it to the dealer and watch them wonder why I want to put any money into this bike. Ha Ha

I did the break-in by the book. I have done all the oil changes, about every 5000 miles. Using Maxima 10-40 dino oil, only because that's what the service manager said to use. Changed the radiator fluid a couple times, keep the air filter clean, change the chain and sprockets about every20,000 miles. Changed the brake fluids, etc. etc. I have had a couple issues; the rear brake pedal began to get stiff, or hard to press down on. So finally I pulled the brake pedal assembly off the bike. When I went to remove the bolt that holds the pedal on the bracket, the bolt head snapped off. Turns out Kawasaki puts that super colossal red Loctite crap on that bolt. I brought the bracket to work hoping one of my guys could drill and easy-out the bolt, but he snapped off the easy out. So I took my trusty Dremel and using the metal removing tool, I got everything out. Ran a tap in the threads just to make sure. The pedal was stiff because the original grease on the shaft was gone, and water had started to rust out the shaft the pedal rides on. Greased it up, used some blue Loctite and a new lockwasher, and it works great now. You guys that ride a lot in the rain (like me) should check that shaft sooner rather than later ( I need to listen to my own advice sometimes). The other issue is the side stand starts to wear out, and it gets real sloppy. Be careful if yours is doing this. The bracket and the stand piece will both get oblong holes. Then the spring loses its tension. One day the spring fell off when I put the stand up, luckily in my garage. So I cleaned everything off and tried to bend the spring a little so it would stay tight. But a few days ago, the damn spring fell off as I was down shifting, coming up on freeway traffic. The stand went down, and the bike died. I was stuck next to the center divider on the f-ing 91 freeway, 5:00am and dark outside. Luckily I had some Velcro straps in my back pack, so I was able to lean the bike against me, and strap up the stand. The dealer wants $160.00 (I think) just for the stand assembly parts. I found several used ones on E-bay, bought one with the switch (even though I don’t need the switch) for $18.00 delivered. Works just fine.

And to Mark59, no ABS on my 13.

I hope that answers everybody, sorry for the novel!!!

If you want to know more, just ask. I’ll get to you as soon as I can.

My plan is to get to 100,000 miles on this bike. And then start the process all over again on my 16. I have four years to go before I can retire, so I may need to buy a 2019, or 20 in a few years. Then again, I may just keep riding the 13 until it grenades on me….just kidding.

I’ll keep you all posted…….
rcannon409, CoachP7, jr_tx and 7 others like this.

Last edited by Pete; 01-24-2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: mis-spelled words

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page