Tire Pressure - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 PM

Garage
Read an article once where they tried to explain the effects of elevation and temp change on tire pressures. I had to simplify it to set it to memory but remember it as giving 1 psi more for every 2000 feet gained and 1 psi more for every 10 degree fahrenheit of tire temp increase. Does that sound about right?
rcannon409 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 06-15-2017, 09:50 AM

I deal with the guys who do the tires, as well as seat rebuilding, for a regional airline.

It is completely insane how they have to treat the tires. Its hard to believe the airline makes money after seeing just what those guys go through in documenting.

What did they tell me about altitude and pressure....I believe they said a tire at 150 psi, here at 5000 ft elevation, it different than when the tire is at sea level.

The outside air pushed harder against the tire, at sea level. More dense. So, as the plane climbs, the pressure goes up....

They also had a spec for how far each rivet was to be placed that holds the leather cover to the seat base. When its rebuilt, it had better be exactly as it was when it was built.
post #13 of 34 Old 06-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
Read an article once where they tried to explain the effects of elevation and temp change on tire pressures. I had to simplify it to set it to memory but remember it as giving 1 psi more for every 2000 feet gained and 1 psi more for every 10 degree fahrenheit of tire temp increase. Does that sound about right?
I have also read 1 psi more for every 10 degree, and that your desired tire pressure is to be measured at the time and conditions of your ride. So if you put 40psi in at 9 pm on your garage floor and the next day you are riding on 120 degree asphalt, it should be 40 psi measured then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 Old 06-04-2018, 01:26 PM

Ive been using a TPMS for the past year that also displays the individual tire temps, its been a cool spring so I haven't had much at or over 90 degrees out side temp here and it been down in the low 50 a lot, especially after dark or early in the mornings,.
Ive found the optimum garage floor cold tire pressure to be 33 front and 39 on the back,. I'm more concerned with tire longevity then the last ounce of performance,,.

I find that with this cold PSI 33&39 setting much of the time for shorter/medium runs you end up warming up to the 36+1 or 2 for the front and 42+1 or 2 on the back which is at or a little over the recommended pressure setting,,.

One further observation on temperatures is that in the colder weather 45 to 60 degrees your running on a warmed up rear and a cold front,,. The front tire rarely warms up and never as quickly as the rear, (talking conservative city driving on cold days and not the track),,.

I should have mentioned that I was on S21 and am now on PP3, as been reported it appears the Michelin warms up quicker then the Bridges-tone,,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsand View Post
I run 33 and 39 on my pirelli gt's and never have a passenger....have not noticed any side slippage yet..still have a quarter inch chicken strip on rear

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear

Last edited by Lag 4; 06-04-2018 at 01:33 PM.
post #15 of 34 Old 06-04-2018, 02:04 PM

Lag, that heat/pressure deal is fascinating.

If you see a big increase, when warm (over that 2-3psi) start looking at your air source and somewhere along the way you will have moisture not being dealt with as the air is compressed.

If you fill with nitrogen, after purging the tire 2-3 times, the tps usually is not sensitive enough to register a pressure increase. It's still not worth buying nitrogen, but it is interesting to see.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #16 of 34 Old 06-04-2018, 02:56 PM

10C to 40C Temp range on the TPMS is 30C or 50F to 104F " 54 degrees so

Range Front 33 has been as high as 38 to 39 PSI variance of 5 or 6 psi max

Back Back 39 has been as high as 44 to 45 PSI variance of 5 or 6 psi max

This ends up pretty close to whats commonly reported as 1 PSI per increase of 10 degrees F without considering the effects of altitude,,.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #17 of 34 Old 06-04-2018, 05:50 PM

@Lag 4 that is almost exactly what I'm seeing on my TPMS too. I have not been doing anything to control my air moisture content as @rcannon409 suggest, but it would be nice to experiment with.

I'm using the FOBO bike TPMS, @Lag 4, what are you using?
post #18 of 34 Old 06-04-2018, 07:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to punkinhead
i just got those tires(55 rear) and run 40 rear and 36 front.
post #19 of 34 Old 06-04-2018, 08:33 PM

Garage
I wish I was talented enough to even need to worry about 2 or 3 PSI. I envy you guys.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #20 of 34 Old 06-05-2018, 06:35 AM

I think its more to do with wear than speed, or talent. If you pay cycle shop prices, and need someone to change your tires, that's expensive as hell. Being able to get another 1000 miles is a big deal.

2012 Ninja 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page