Default and/or Preventative Mods? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Sweet - all the above is very encouraging and reassuring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmark101 View Post
I recall riding the Ninja 1000 for the first time and thinking to myself that this is exactly what the VFR should have been!!
Hmm - add a center stand as an option and I'd probably agree with you. Do that, and configure the motor as a V4 and I definitely would. However I haven't owned a inline four before - so it will be interesting to see how much I miss the V4 configuration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 07:18 PM
OCL

All I had were V engines before. Hanging out in the VFR forums, one could be lead to believe V4's are superior in torque because...it's a V4. Hang around V-twin forums, one could be lead to believe V-twins are the holy grail when it comes to midrange torque. Or that V4's or V-Twins have the sweetest sound. Having owned a VFR800 for over a decade, I can almost believe it. I've owned & ridden European V-twin motors too, including Ducatis.

I forgot how good inline 4's can be. I had a CBR600RR and that bike sounded sweet too even with stock exhaust. And it revved to the Moon and was smooth all the way up there.

Then there's the Ninja 1000 motor. In a nutshell: it sounds great. Mean as hell at idle and when spinning up. But the impression that goes with you after a ride is that torque. That endless wave of torque. It starts right off idle and never lets off until the rev limit. It's only a 1,043cc too and not some 1.2+ liter monster, which makes it even more impressive.

Anyway, centerstand? What's that? I miss it. Is it necessary? Not really. I don't miss the V4 either. What's there to miss? I'm still trying to figure it out. I don't miss VTEC that's for sure. I don't miss shifting down 2x to pass either. I don't even miss the sound.
sportstourer likes this.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I cant prove this, but I think the stock 11-13 pads are the source of the rotor problems. If you have a earlier bike, I would switch those pads oit as soon as possible. We all have our favorites. Try anything other than the ebc-hh pads. Dp, Vesrah and such are better choices.....anything other than stock. I believe the stock friction rating is so low that they dont work correctly and damage the rotors.
My second set of OEM rotors were with the Vesrah SRJL pads. A season and a half and the pulsing was back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 08:15 PM

There goes that idea..lol...If I remember correctly, the older, 2004 era zx10 and our Ninjas both used 300mm rotors. The zx10 pieces were more expensive. Maybe they really are lower quality?

I notice the new 2020 ninja is back to round rotors. Maybe theres a reason for that?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:24 PM
OCL

RC I think it's proven. The stock rotors on the early models can't handle brake pad deposits over a long period.
rcannon409 likes this.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:28 AM

Ocl, I think you are correct. The part number on those discs is specific to this bike. It's not shared with other bikes that had 300mm rotors. The cost on these is a lot less than the "same" 300mm rotor used on other bikes.

Not a big deal, really, if someone doesnt mind buying used rotors when these go bad. 500.00 if they have to have this specific rotor.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:02 PM
OCL

Oh yeah I wouldn't replace mine with the same rotors that go bad in 15k miles. I love my ZX10R rotors.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:17 PM

It will be interesting see if these hold up better. Based on the retail price, they should. I know they are larger diameter, so you cant really compare the two, but the zx10 rotors are way more expensive if you order from Kawasaki....maybe better material?
Old 02-11-2020, 04:03 PM
OCL

I hope so. I've never had rotors behave the way the ones in my '12 did. I put almost 70k miles on my VFR800 on the original rotors. I just changed the pads (stuck with OEM pads). Never an issue. Did the same on previous bikes too.

Have you had this issue on any of your other bikes?
sportstourer likes this.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:07 PM

Good to see quite a few riders here coming from various VFRs. I don't have any experience with Honda's 90deg V4s, but I've ridden 2 VFR1200F's for some 7yrs. About as bullet proof as they come from Honda.

RC, interested you mentioned EBC HH pads. They are my go to aftermarket brake pads. Last set went on VFR1200F when the OEM pads wore out.

Brake pad material transfer can happen with any brake pad. Some are just more prone than others. Hot disc/pads left standing after a wet ride can be especially bad, sometimes to the point of the pads getting stuck to the rotors. For this reason, I always blow wet brakes (after wash or rainy ride) with compressed air before putting the bike away. I also try not to squeeze the front brake at a redlight for a long time. I either switch to rear brake, or relax the front brake to roll the bike forward/backward a little bit, so the pads re-engage the rotor at a different spot.

Anyhow, sounds like the consensus on N1k is a thumbs up.

'18 Ninja 1000, '18 Street Triple R, '18 KLX250S, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '05 GSXR600 (track)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in