2017 + Models Sprocket Size Change - Any Luck? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 07-31-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

2017 + Models Sprocket Size Change - Any Luck?

Has anyone with a 2017 + model had any success changing one of the sprocket sizes to make the gearing taller and at the same time resolving the error codes that come up when doing so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Garage
Following

Ride hard, ride safe.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agurudev View Post
Following
I'm sure a lot of people are interested in finding out if there is a way to make the gearing for the 17+ models taller without freaking out the electronics package. I love the bike so far, but would love it even more with taller gearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 08-02-2019, 12:56 AM

Not that I know of. And it doesn't seem like anyone read these error codes before re-installing their original cogs.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-02-2019, 01:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
Not that I know of. And it doesn't seem like anyone read these error codes before re-installing their original cogs.
Look in post 26.
https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/#/topics/22296

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-05-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
That link doesn't take me to any specific thread. Can you send a corrected one?
post #7 of 28 Old 08-08-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Just an update. My tuner who will be tuning and flashing the ECU in my 17' N1K next week reached out to Woolich about the sprocket size change and error codes issue to find out if they have any solutions. I'll let you guys know what I hear back from him. Surprised no one else on this forum with a 17+ model has had success with sprocket size changes for taller gearing.
Bc2 likes this.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 AM

This question has been asked of the tuning wizards and so far none has answered it, we're hitting a wall. I suspect this issue involves the cornering ABS program, and will be outside their area of expertise.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
This question has been asked of the tuning wizards and so far none has answered it, we're hitting a wall. I suspect this issue involves the cornering ABS program, and will be outside their area of expertise.
This is my understanding talking to tuners down here when I asked on behalf of others here, including Attack Performance. There are also potential liability concerns with tweaking abs and tc functions.

Personally, I'm trying to emphasize the sport part of this sport tourer, I'm not trying to make the bike accelerate slower than it already is in general. On the freeway actually love the set it and forget it 6th gear roll on passing power that makes the bike feel like the world's fastest scooter with little need to downshift. Surely I can't be the only one that is good with the stock gearing and willing to live with it.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-08-2019, 12:13 PM

I'm good with the stock gearing. I see no need to raise it to lower Highway RPM.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here but, if you think the N1k has too low highway gear, you need to go ride any of the supersport bikes of just about any displacement. Seriously. Start with a 600cc. Let me clue you in: The first number of your speed will normally correspond to the first number of your RPM.

Look at it from another perspective. The N1k is NOT a Concours 1400 nor a Goldwing. It's a Ninja, which morphed from the Z1000 naked sportbike family, which in turn is just the bigger brother of the ZX10R supersport.
Lag 4 and tyrmeltr like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in