2017 + Models Sprocket Size Change - Any Luck? - Page 4 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrmeltr View Post
It really is a different bike with a full exhaust and a tune.
Would you mind elaborating on that statement a little tyrmeltr? Does it feel significantly more powerful? Is the factory throttle smoothness retained, or improved upon? What other significant differences are noteworthy to you? My main goals would be to increase useable (not just peak) power as much as possible, while retaining throttle smoothness, engine reliability and functionality of the onboard safety electronics. Thanks in advance! BTW, I love this bike, but as with all things built for speed, I generally end up wanting them to have more power.

2017 Ninja 1000 ABS Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Graphite Gray: Motodynamic Fender Delete and Sequential Tail Light, Kawasaki Frame Sliders, and Crankcase Protector Kit, TechSpec Tank Pad and Tank Grips, Puig Racing Dark Smoked windscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 12:05 PM

You can see here what a good tune and exhaust did for the older bikes.

Ivan's Performance Products

The gains, on the new models, have not been quite as impressive, but still, massive gains are available. When you add 20hp, drop 20lbs of weight, and improve throttle response, it does become a different machine.

Its not like you do this stuff and it becomes a zx14. Thats not how it is, but it does give you a much sharper and more refined version of what you have. Figure its what Kawasaki would have given you if they did not have emissions and noise issues to deal with.

You cant really short cut this if you want all of the improvement. The stock header is very restrictive. A set of slip ons wont do it. You need the full exhaust.
N1K1LE likes this.
post #33 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
You can see here what a good tune and exhaust did for the older bikes.

Ivan's Performance Products

The gains, on the new models, have not been quite as impressive, but still, massive gains are available. When you add 20hp, drop 20lbs of weight, and improve throttle response, it does become a different machine.

Its not like you do this stuff and it becomes a zx14. Thats not how it is, but it does give you a much sharper and more refined version of what you have. Figure its what Kawasaki would have given you if they did not have emissions and noise issues to deal with.

You cant really short cut this if you want all of the improvement. The stock header is very restrictive. A set of slip ons wont do it. You need the full exhaust.
Iím definitely fine with going full Akrapovic. Not sure if the racing 4/2/1 Akrapovic has a removable DB killer? Akrapovic doesnít seem to say? Also not sure I want to lose the ability to mount the side cases, but dropping 20 lbs. and gaining 20 HP would be amazing. I see Akra has the 4/2 headers sold separately too. I suppose I could retain the use of the cases with that and the correct cans. Obviously mineís a 2017 so not exactly like the 16s and earlier. Iím also not sure there are any good tuners in my area (NE Oklahoma) but I will start looking into it. Iíve searched the forum a bit and have seen the necessary hacking by Woolich, and then that a dyno tune is needed to optimize performance. Is there any definitive thread I should read, or should I maybe just contact Woolich and ask them where to begin? BTW, I love my bike. I donít think I could have bought a more perfect bike for me at this time. I do think the time will come soon when Iíll want to free up its potential power though. Thanks for the info!!!

2017 Ninja 1000 ABS Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Graphite Gray: Motodynamic Fender Delete and Sequential Tail Light, Kawasaki Frame Sliders, and Crankcase Protector Kit, TechSpec Tank Pad and Tank Grips, Puig Racing Dark Smoked windscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 02:00 PM

You can leave the stock exhaust and use the akra 4-2 header and only lose 2 hp accoring to Ivan (with his flash). Or you can combine the header with another exhaust like the Leo Vince LV One Evo slip on's that do work with the bags and have a removable baffle. I have those and love them.
N1K1LE likes this.
post #35 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
You can leave the stock exhaust and use the akra 4-2 header and only lose 2 hp accoring to Ivan (with his flash). Or you can combine the header with another exhaust like the Leo Vince LV One Evo slip on's that do work with the bags and have a removable baffle. I have those and love them.
Now that you mention retaining the stock cans, I will say I like the sound of the stock exhaust and wouldnít mind it sounding the same only louder. I would imagine keeping those you would not lose nearly the weight off the bike though? I also like some of the Leo Vince exhausts Iíve seen. I think Iím pretty much settled on one of the two Akra headers.

post #36 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1K1LE View Post
Now that you mention retaining the stock cans, I will say I like the sound of the stock exhaust and wouldnít mind it sounding the same only louder. I would imagine keeping those you would not lose nearly the weight off the bike though? I also like some of the Leo Vince exhausts Iíve seen. I think Iím pretty much settled on one of the two Akra headers.
Yeah weight and looks is why I went with slip on's. I really like the Leo's. I just got Ivans flash and I can forsee someday getting the akra 4-2 header but for now they look and sound great. Not much louder then stock even with baffles out. The cat really chokes things up, lol.
N1K1LE likes this.
post #37 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 04:58 PM

It sucks, but the header is a big deal. The cat is actually not the real problem. Cutting it out doesnt help much.

You can see the problem as soon as the new header arrives. At that point, you see the header tubes. One set looks like its from the ninja 300...or 250. Very small diameter. I believe they are 32mm. The Arrow tubes are 40mm, as i recall. Massive difference in diameter. Weight, too. The stock header is very heavy. I believe the weight savings, for just the header, is close to 10lbs.

They are so under sized that you dont even lose low end and midrange when you switch to something larger. Its pretty obvious Kawasaki wanted this bike in that 125hp level.
CRFan1 and N1K1LE like this.
post #38 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
Yeah weight and looks is why I went with slip on's. I really like the Leo's. I just got Ivans flash and I can forsee someday getting the akra 4-2 header but for now they look and sound great. Not much louder then stock even with baffles out. The cat really chokes things up, lol.
I really like the look of the racing style Leoís. Of course they would probably burn up the side cases and be loud as hell with the headers, but still tempting.
CRFan1 likes this.

post #39 of 52 Old 11-23-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
It sucks, but the header is a big deal. The cat is actually not the real problem. Cutting it out doesnt help much.

You can see the problem as soon as the new header arrives. At that point, you see the header tubes. One set looks like its from the ninja 300...or 250. Very small diameter. I believe they are 32mm. The Arrow tubes are 40mm, as i recall. Massive difference in diameter. Weight, too. The stock header is very heavy. I believe the weight savings, for just the header, is close to 10lbs.

They are so under sized that you dont even lose low end and midrange when you switch to something larger. Its pretty obvious Kawasaki wanted this bike in that 125hp level.
That sounds promising. Dropping 10 lbs. and adding 10 HP just by bolting on those headers sounds like a dream. Of course Iíd prefer a good dyno tune as well. Itís not like my N1K is a slouch to begin with, so Iím not complaining or anything, but too much HP is generally almost enough. My N1K is already the most powerful bike (HP, but not torque) Iíve ever ridden, but Iíd like to maximize its potential so its there when I want it. I canít tell you how much I love riding this bike! I just got back from riding it a while ago. Apparently it will break the rear loose in 4th at WOT on a back road at 46 degrees F. Iíve put about 800 miles on it so far, and every ride is euphoric fun. I think this is the perfect bike for me. I canít wait to take it on some longer trips.

post #40 of 52 Old 11-24-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1K1LE View Post
I really like the look of the racing style Leoís. Of course they would probably burn up the side cases and be loud as hell with the headers, but still tempting.
I like my bike to look, and feel, racy. So when I got the Akrapovic headers I went in for the G&G Moto2 cans which are completely upswept. So while I canít use the Kawasaki OEM panniers, I use the Hepco & Becker Royster soft bags with the C-Bow mounting system. Iíve used the bags extensively and there is no issue of hot exhaust gases burning through the underside of the bags. At speed the exhaust gases are, uh, gone with the wind.
N1K1LE likes this.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard

Last edited by Bikram; 12-16-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page