Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Halogen Headlight Bulbs - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra Halogen Headlight Bulbs

I changed my 2012's headlight bulbs to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's. I really didn't feel like messing with LED or HID. I'm too lazy and I really just wanted an improvement and not something transformational.

BEFORE - It's actually not as bad. I thought it would be more yellow but they're not.
DSCF3046 by rogue_biker, on Flickr

AFTER - It's very easy to see how whiter the Ultra's are. Can anyone tell me what bulbs those corner lights use? Now they look more yellow compared to the headlights.
DSCF3047 by rogue_biker, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Garage
194 is the replacement, 168 is a slightly brighter version of the same bulb
If you can find a true 5000k 194 LED I think you'll be happy with the color match. Be warned though my first try with what was advertised as bright white was a failure and too blue. Believe I found the Sylvania cool white .5 watt bulb a very close match.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-10-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!!! These are the easiest light bulbs to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-10-2019, 09:05 AM

Be careful switching 168 with 194. Yes, they look identical, but the 168 is aboit 30% brighter and meant to be used in something like a turn signal, where it cycles. The 168 can melt fixtures if you use it in something that's constantly lit.

Like Advintage said , its brighter, and that extra heat can be a problem. I ended up switching money for Led's because it's easy to match that white color, and there's no heat issue.

If you change them, make sure the bulb is in the socket, PERFECTLY. if it falls off, I side the bikes light, it's not a lot of fun to fish back out. It's do-able, with a small magnetic tool, but still a nightmare.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-10-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I'll stick with 194. Not looking to make the upper marker lights brighter, just more white. I would prefer them to be LED as well.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCLandspeeder View Post
I'll stick with 194. Not looking to make the upper marker lights brighter, just more white. I would prefer them to be LED as well.
Check out superbrightleds com. I replaced my marker lights a few years ago with white LEDs and I'm pleased with the results.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrabit View Post
Check out superbrightleds com. I replaced my marker lights a few years ago with white LEDs and I'm pleased with the results.
Did you need a ballast or decoder or was it just plug and play?
post #8 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

I think you are referring to the use of Resistors if you replace a standard bulb to an LED. This only applies to turn signals that blink. The upper marker lights do not blink so they don't need the resistor if you replace them with LED.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
I think you are referring to the use of Resistors if you replace a standard bulb to an LED. This only applies to turn signals that blink. The upper marker lights do not blink so they don't need the resistor if you replace them with LED.
They can if you want them too.
https://youtu.be/pv2s12z1CFg

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
Quote:
They can if you want them too.
https://youtu.be/pv2s12z1CFg
Oh what, how'd you rig that up?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page