Koso Apollo Heated Grip Install - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Koso Apollo Heated Grip Install

Hello All - Figured I'd share how this install went.

Product Link: https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/mo...wist-throttle/

Album of Pics: https://imgur.com/a/ygBtREH

So why these? Well, I hate having stuff sticking our everywhere on my bike and this is a REALLY clean heated grip with its integrated controller. It did mean spending some extra cash, but for me this was well worth it.

This was a tricky install as I did NOT want to cut the grips like what was done in this WebBikeWorld Article: https://www.webbikeworld.com/koso-ap...-grips-review/ - My research had found that I was going to probably run into issues with this as I would have had to trim even further than what was done in the article. The throttle side being the biggest issue. Instead, I chose to do some relocating of the controls to avoid this.

Step 1 - Remove left side fairing and seat. Plenty of posts on this. Need to do this to gain access to the accesory harness

Step 2? Remove the bar ends and grips. The bar ends are ridiculously tight - pick up a #3 Phillips bit (get several) and have an electric or air powered impact gun. My hand held impact did NOTHING to loosen them. My battery powered impact also did not budge them. I ended up using adapters and my big boy impact to finally loosen them both. Didn't need full throttle, but it was the only thing that would break them loose. I went through 2 bits total and you need #3's or you'll 100% have the joy of drilling them out.

Removing the grips wasn't too bad - I used my air gun and blew air under them while pulling them off. They were not glued on too much.

Step 3 - install left side grip...

The left side was pretty simple - Taking off the plastic hand controls housing for the blinker and headlight reveals that it has a "pin" and that catches a hole in the bars to keep it located. As there was quite a bit of room, I was able to loosen and slide the clutch lever as far inward as I could (it can interfere, so depending on the angle you like your controls at, it may limit how far in you'll be able to move it). This allowed me to easily make up the slightly more than 1/4" in length difference (with the heated grips being longer).

I was able to center punch the location of the new hole, and simply drilled it. I chose the drill bit side by using the existing hole for reference. I test fitted everything with the bar end installed and it was perfect. Set the final position for the clutch lever and tightened it down, and reinstalled the hand controls housing. The fit of the grip is very tight on the bars - and its not flexible either. I ended up installing with some windex which has worked for me in the past. Air was useless as there was no flexibility in the grip. Its tight and doesn't rotate so it should be ok.

When installing this grip, remember it has the controls, so get the angle for the controls that you want.

Step 4 - This was the FUN one.... Unlike the left side, the brake master cylinder ends up interfering with the clip ons. This limits the amount that everything can be moved inward. What made it even more fun is that both the hand controls, and the throttle control are "pinned" the same way, so there are 2 holes to relocate.

I started with moving the brake in as far as I could and quickly realized that it was probably not going to be quite far enough. I was barely able to get 1/4" out of it. From there, I did the same procedure to move the controls, measure and center punch to get the holes as close as possible to where they needed to be. I messed up some on the controls pod and had to open up that hole some. Did the same for the throttle tube - watch the drill sizes here, they have different hole sizes for the "pins" in the plastic housings.

Once that was all said and done, I found that there is a lip on the throttle tube that must be shaved off with a sharp knife or razerblade. The heated grips are pretty solid and it will not slide over that. With that trimmed off, I was able to use windex again, and slide the grip in place. It was not easy and I have no doubt that it will not have any issues with slipping. The throttle tube has some raised portions that also bite into the grip well.

A word of caution though - In the pics you can see how I positioned the wire - it will need to be located in such a way it is facing the rider, but enough slack must be kept so that the throttle can fully rotate. Obviously, you want to try and get this right without having to slide the grip on and off as it is not easy to do! It is a very tight fit.

For this side, unfortunately I had to space out the bar end. With it tightened down, it interfered with the grip and kept it from turning. It took (2) 1/2" (I think, don't quote on me on this) washers that I found fit perfectly inside the bar ends cup. The bolt was long enough to get a decent number of threads on and this provided the perfect clearance with the grip. (have a pic of this!)

Step 5 - Wiring

This is very easy on this bike - I ran the wire from the throttle side neatly, securing it with zip ties to existing wiring harness and over to the passenger side. I connected the grips to the accessory connectors in the fairing there with bullet connectors, and then tested everything.

I did not replace the 2A fuse with a 4A one yet, but with my meter in line, it did pull 2.5 amps off the battery (with a charger connected) on the highest setting. I'll try and update this post with the current measurements for all the settings, but IIRC - with high being 2.5, the rest of the settings simply stepped backward a .5 amp with low only pulling a .5 amp. The fuse surprisingly held that for about 10 minutes of testing that I did at which the grips were already quite warm (less than 120* as I was able to hold my hands on them). I will be replacing that fuse with a 4A one shortly.

WebbikeWorld has a nice chart about the temps that they measured after a period of time. Its pretty spot on with what I have found thus far.

With everything tested, I finished tidying everything up, heated up the shrink tubing I installed and made sure all the wiring was secured.

At this point, I haven't gotten the bike fully back together, but I am looking forward to having some much toastier hands in the near future as the mornings here will be quite chilly for another 1.5 months or so!

All in all, I took my time on this and probably spent about 2 hours, not counting pulling the fairing off to complete the task. A GOOD center punch is your friend for this to get the holes drilled reasonably accurately.

2013 White Ninja 1000
Ivan's Reflash | BMC Filter | Akra Full Exhuast
Koso Heated Grips | Baldwin Custom Seats
CustomLED Integrated Taillight | SW Motech Sliders | Givi Top Case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 09:46 PM

These look nice. How is the vibration damping on the these? ?How smooth is the throttle action?

I have the oxford touring heated grips and they got rid of the vibration in the grips, but the wires are really something you really have to get used to.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Garage
I’ll share my experience with these as well.

Buy the shorter length, 120mm. They will fit the throttle tube better.

Do not use glue or at least the provided glue in the kit. These grips are firm and do not give. These are tight on the bar and throttle tube. The provided glue makes the grips too sticky to maneuver once in contact with the bar and throttle tube.

These have a larger diameter than non-heated grips. I personally like the larger diameter.

As long as there is the proper clearance between the grip and throttle tube cam to allow for the cam housing, there is no difference in throttle response.

2014 N1K: Woodcraft 2 inch riser clip-ons, Akrapovic full exhaust system, 2011 modified air box, BMC air filter, Driven block off plates, G2 quick turn throttle with Y025 cam, 190/55 rear tire, bar end mirrors, Spencer Moto Care seat, Puig windscreen, Yoshi Tail Tidy, USB charger, frame sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histaminium View Post
These look nice. How is the vibration damping on the these? ?How smooth is the throttle action?

I have the oxford touring heated grips and they got rid of the vibration in the grips, but the wires are really something you really have to get used to.
I have not had a chance to ride the bike yet, but as mentioned below, they are a little heavier, and thicker and I'd bet it will help with vibration. I'm doing a lot of things on it atm - hoping to have it finished up this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastNinja View Post
Iíll share my experience with these as well.

Buy the shorter length, 120mm. They will fit the throttle tube better.

Do not use glue or at least the provided glue in the kit. These grips are firm and do not give. These are tight on the bar and throttle tube. The provided glue makes the grips too sticky to maneuver once in contact with the bar and throttle tube.

These have a larger diameter than non-heated grips. I personally like the larger diameter.

As long as there is the proper clearance between the grip and throttle tube cam to allow for the cam housing, there is no difference in throttle response.

I believe those are the length I got, but I'll have to check. I've had them unfortunately sitting in a box for a couple years while I dealt with a new home etc.

I did not use the glue either, these things fit so tight they were a good effort to get on and when I tried to twist them I really have to give it a go.

I prefer the thicker grip as well, for me this will lead to much less hand fatigue.

2013 White Ninja 1000
post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM

I accidentally found a great way to install the heated grips. I used the provided glue, and mine broke loose...go figure.

I ended up turning the grip to it's hot setting, then use 3m weather strip glue to hold them on. They slide in place, easily, and are stuck forever.

2012 Ninja 1000
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 01:55 PM

I was able to fit the 120mm Kosos on as well without shortening them however I just extended the bars to include both the extra 1/4" for the grip as well as 3/8'" for my bar end mirrors,,.
See attached?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190302_155516.jpg (147.5 KB, 12 views)

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #7 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

What did you do on the throttle side? That's the side that is the bigger pain to deal with IMO - I had to space the bar end out with 2 washers, probably just a smidge over and 1/8" in thickness...

2013 White Ninja 1000
post #8 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Same procedure, I think my added bar spacer might have been a tad longer on that side as the grip needed free play for the throttle,,. These pcs I made up were 5/8s of an inch wide to accommodate the bar ends as well as the Koso's, I used the same inner/outer diameter tube that the oem bars are made with,,. Interestingly I was going to go back and locktite everything and have yet to get back to it after 20,000 Km's and nothing has moved,,.
PS
I really like the Koso Apollo's, its a very OEM look and no controller, nice and clean, also don't mind the extra real-estate on the grips as well,!!

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

The bar extensions I would think are a great way to easily do this too I'd bet. Gives a little more protection maybe to the stock levers in a tip over (ask me how I know haha) and maybe even the tank?

Either way, the grips look good and the integrated controller, so long as it stays reliable is a big deal to me

2013 White Ninja 1000
post #10 of 12 Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM

Just for the record, the grips we installed in that wBW review are still working fine . But I agree, cut them only at your own risk. I think we got lucky.

=================
I am not an interesting phrase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page