A minor cure for reducing the forward seat slant - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-23-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

A minor cure for reducing the forward seat slant

I'm still enjoying my Spencer modded seat. Went out for a 120 mile ride this AM. But even in spite of the Spencer mod, there is still the ever so slightest forward slope.

So when I got home, I pulled off the seats and said to myself, "How can I raise the front of the seat w/out changing too much of the angle or appearance?" The solution was simple. No, it's not a complete fix to the forward slant but it is an incremental improvement that took about 3m of time and cost practically nothing. You'll only need a few small washers for each bolt & an appropriate sized wrench. Here goes-

Underneath the front of the seat is a support bar, which holds the rear of the gas tank in place. 2 small bolts hold the bar to the frame. Loosen the bolts and lift up the bar. Place the washers underneath the bar, reinstall and tighten the bolts back down- voila. Instant reduction in slope w/no negatives associated.

I used 3 thin metal washers on each side, so it only raised the front of the seat maybe 1/3" give or take. I could've added more but I wanted to use the least amount possible at first, keep the stock bolts, and not create a visual gap between the seat and frame, which you can see there is none.

I took the bike out for a quick spin and by golly, even though this was a cheap, quick fix, it worked. I may add more washers but for now, blammo. All done.

Lag 4, trialsguy, RobF and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-23-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
That is a creative, out of the box way of thinking. The next long ride you get to take let us know your thoughts on how much it helped.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-23-2019, 05:59 PM

I like it....you can also play with the rear seat bumpers. Just like the front, you can do much, but there are a few mm available there, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-23-2019, 08:49 PM

did that

Did that a couple of years ago.....actually had a mechanic use a re-thread inserted into the existing hole with about quarter inch or slightly more of additional spacer height to raise the front of the seat. Then I wanted to change the air filter a few weeks ago and the re-threads dis-attached.when i moved tank up. When I put it back together I just used a few metal spacers and the oem bolts...seems to work..I think a set of rubber grommets would be a better solution than metal washers...if i ever decide to change it again.....
post #5 of 20 Old 02-23-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I agree, rubber grommets would probably be a better choice but would also require replacing from time to time. This was merely a quick fix experiment so I'll keep experimenting!
post #6 of 20 Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 AM

thanks for the info that's a great idea.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-24-2019, 02:19 PM

I like that, I'll give it a try. Everything I need to do this is already in the garage.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-24-2019, 10:51 PM

Nice work Spectreman, very creative and thanks for sharing, its tips like this that make this site a valued accessory in the N1K tool kit!!
Jay S. likes this.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear
post #9 of 20 Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreman View Post
Yes, I agree, rubber grommets would probably be a better choice but would also require replacing from time to time. This was merely a quick fix experiment so I'll keep experimenting!
I used rubber washers from the local hardware store. Lessens the tank vibration a bit and as a side effect, raises the front of the seat even though it wasn't an issue for me.
mrsand and Lag 4 like this.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #10 of 20 Old 02-25-2019, 01:56 PM

I need to this,,,,I don't really have the vibration problems in the bars and the pegs that many refer too but man do I ever get it in the front of the seat at 7500,,. This is a must do mod for me and right in line with my 2019 budget,,.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
Latest edition of Ivans flash E6, BMC performance A/C
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl, Bikemaster Bar End Mirrors, Koso Apollo heated grips
HID's with Halos, LED running lights, Smoked turn signals with LED's
S21's with the 55 rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page