2017 Ninja 1000 Flash, Tune, and Dyno Results - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

2017 Ninja 1000 Flash, Tune, and Dyno Results

Yesterday I rode down to 2WheelDynoWorks in Kirkland, WA for a Dyno Tune session on my 2017. I never did a base line Dyno run with the bike stock, so any numbers I show here are based on the Dyno runs that Ivan did on the previous model.

First, let me say the guys and the owner, Nel, at 2WheelDynoWorks are fantastic. Even when the bike threw an error code for a front wheel sensor, they quickly ran it over to the local Kawi dealer to use their tool to clear the error. That added about an hour to my visit, no biggie.

Prior to my visit, I had sent my ECU to them, who in turn sent it to Woolrich to get it hacked. Kawi is making it much more difficult to access and flash their ECU's these days, as are other manufacturers. Woolrich cut in to the ECU, and read the data directly off the chip. They send it back to Nel's, who put a basic map in it, then shipped it back to me to install.

I had already installed an Akro header and block off plates previously. While graphs are nice to look at, I converted all the results in to a table, as I feel its more interesting, and telling.

Bottom line, the torque increase between 4000rpms and 8000rpms (what I consider the real world street riding rev range) is huge. I care less about peak HP and peak Torque. My "seat of the pants dyno" confirmed a huge improvement after riding it back for 2.5 hours. This bike is angry and pissed off now. Love it!

Here are the torque results

Here are the HP results

Avintage69, motoman, RobF and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 06-22-2018, 01:27 PM

Thats a nice increase, but im with you on the numbers.....kind of a whatever.....but how does it feel..

The 2017 was already better than the previous gens, in feel, but how does it feel now? Is it more smooth, or what would you call its highlight?

Please consider the impact on the environment before printing this message.
post #3 of 40 Old 06-22-2018, 04:28 PM

Garage
Very nice summary table!

What exactly does 'Stock(Ivan's)' mean?

Speed Thrills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 06-22-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

"Stock Ivan's" means I used Ivan's numbers on his dyno that you can see on his website.

How does it feel? Well..........like a lot more umph than the single digit percentage increases you see on my table between 4000 and 8000 rpms. Yeah yeah I know, what I am about to say will sound like every other over-enthused rider with his newest shiny thing for his bike, but I'm serious when I say it feels like 30-30 percent more pull, and when I mean it feels angry, it not only pulls harder, but the increase in the pull accelerates as the bike does. Kind of odd to explain, but it is dead on linear as any bike I have ridden and owned (and I've owned 14 over 25 years of riding?

It would not be unlike my 2005 Gixxer 1000 in terms of how the motor delivers power. That's saying a lot. Tomorrow is a big 450 mile loop through BC's best roads, so if I can lift my hands to the keyboard after the ride, after a cold one, I may check in here. lol.

Woolrich has now hacked two 2017's, one being mine, and the other some guy with a different serial number. So any owners can get it done rather easily and quickly now.
rcannon409 and Avintage69 like this.
post #5 of 40 Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 AM

Out here on the East coast, the most popular and best results for an ECU flash come by way of Guhl motors. He did one for my ZX-14R, and after talking to him on the phone said he has a program all ready for the Ninja 1000. He told me by itself you won't really gain any hp. with the stock bike, but with a full exhaust and dyno tune 15-20 hp. gains can be expected.
You state you have a full Akropovic exhaust system? I hope to do mine up with one next year.
A Guhl flash costs $275 with free shipping
post #6 of 40 Old 06-23-2018, 10:59 AM

So much of what you get, in a good reflash, is the things you just can't measure, or put to paper.

Ivan sent me an early version of his c14 flash. He told me It was just to sample, and I'd have to send it back in a week, or so.

I really enjoyed it. Better power, smooth, and very responsive. Far better than any power commander map. I called him and asked why I has to send it back. He said, "because the fueling is stock". That was 8 flashes, ago, but it did prove, to me, fueling was just a small part of the overall puzzle.

In the flash mentioned above, a 3-12% increase is a big deal.

Please consider the impact on the environment before printing this message.
post #7 of 40 Old 06-23-2018, 09:46 PM
LSO

I'm interested in the flash, and have some questions. My 2017 has a vibration at around 6.5 to 8k rpm, that buzzes the seat, pegs and bars. If it wasn't for this issue, this would be a great bike for me. As I do like to get into this rev range when I ride the twisties, it is very annoying to continually get this vibration. Does this flash do anything to help get rid of this vibration? I would gladly buy this flash and get a full exhaust to go with it if it does. I like this bike that much!
post #8 of 40 Old 06-23-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSO View Post
Does this flash do anything to help get rid of this vibration?

Nothing that is noticeable, however I did find that vibration did decrease after about 6000kms ob the bike. The biggest improvement was adding the HVMP super heavy bar ends. That probably reduced it by 50 percent
post #9 of 40 Old 06-23-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Oh, and I discovered today that I can adjust power modes and traction control "on-the'fly" now. Kind of cool unexpected benefit
rcannon409 likes this.
post #10 of 40 Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the review @cooldaddygroove! How does 0-3000 RPMs feel to you now? Is it still a binary on-off, or has the throttle fuel cut been removed? I don't care about power as much as comfort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page