Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

LED light kit

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  DeV 
#1 · (Edited)
I have finally finished the install on my LED light kit and am quite happy with the results. I had a slightly different kit than you can order because I backed them on kickstarter when they initially launched.
The kit is from xkglow.com
it has many features that I really like - my favorite is that it has a smart break feature that ties in to your brake line - doesn't matter what pattern or colors you have on at the time...when you hit the brakes, all the lights turn red, essentially turning your bike in to one big brake light.
It has 2 channels - I set mine up so that the front and back of the bike are on channel1 and the middle is on channel2 - the channels can operate independently or together for color choices.
The kit is controlled by a mobile app on your cell phone that allows you to quickly select color from an RGB spectrum...it also has a chameleon mode that uses your phone's camera and you can match the color to whatever you hover over with your phone.

The kit that I have from kickstarter was a 6-pod and 6-strip kit. The pods have 3 bright diodes and the strips are about 4" long
I then bought an additional 2 10" strips for the undertail.

I will post pics of the bike lit up later....just thought I'd share location of the lights where I put them

Summary:
(2) 10" strips on both sides of the undertail
(1) pod in the middle on the bottom of the flat frame piece under the spring
(2) strips on both sides towards the front, just under the headlights
(1) pod centered on the front under headlights

LEFT SIDE
(1) pod behind main fairing
(1) pod on bottom of bike
(2) strips behind main fairing

RIGHT SIDE:
(2) pods behind main fairing
(1) strip behind main fairing
(1) strip just rear of the motor

With the exception of the undertail strips because you can't hide those....
and the strips on the front are slightly visible depending on your angle....
I placed the lights so they are all behind fairings and the light is not visible

See less See more
Reactions: jr_tx
#2 ·
Not bad. I bought a glow kit to install like I did on my 300, but after having the fairings off and looking around I realized there wouldn't be much for it to reflect off of, still keep the strips hidden, and not melt wires. Compared to my 300 this thing is basically engine and wheels, not much room for much else. I do plan on having a couple turn signal/brake light strips on the under tail after I swap tail lights and get a fender eliminator.

#3 ·
Cant wait to see the pictures all lit up

#4 ·
correction to one pod....I do not have 2 pods on the right side....I forgot that I moved it because the strip provided enough light....

I relocated that pod to the underside of the fender on the tail....it creates a unique angle aimed back towards the inside of the bike...

it wouldn't allow me to edit my original post
fyi @adm2204

#6 ·
regardless of color? and regardless of whether the bulb/diodes are visible?

#7 ·
After thinking about it, I'm assuming the answer to those questions is yes....even the police have stupid rules about their lights in California......with the static light rule....

#8 ·
Some people get away with Yellow, but even then you are at risk as the back of the bike should be red. Young officers have a penchant for proving how macho they are, so they really don't care if they are right or not. They just like messing with people.

#9 ·
I'm working on installing a light kit now. Bought a bunch of green light strips from Amazon. Lot came with like 20 strips and there very bright surprisingly. Here in Maryland not sure of the law but I see tons of bikes with them so... can't wait to see pics of ur lights. I will post some of mine if and when I get done lol

#10 ·
Some different colors... some mixed with my halloween theme....flash taken on one for reflective tape with the lights...and pic with brakes

Attachments

Reactions: jr_tx
#11 ·
The only thing I just noticed that I'd like to change is that one strip on the side... near the back... it should be on the other channel to match the sides....

#13 ·
Have you thought about notifying the FAA so that plans dont mistake you for a landing strip. LOL. JJ. Looks good and thanks for the write up.

Reactions: DeV
#14 ·
The LED headlights are from the same company as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.