N1K Curious - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Cool N1K Curious

Hello!

Great forum lots of good info.
A quick bit about me. I'm in the Calgary Alberta area. Current main ride is a 2014 Zx6r. In the stable is a 2000 SV650 track bike, 1982 Yamaha seca cafe project, Ducati 1098s and a CRF250x.
I have been riding for 25 years and commute as much as possible in the summers as its 110 Kms round trip. I also tour when I can too. I have taken the zx6 as far as LA with no trouble. I am looking to move to a 2020 N1K as it seems to be the best way to add a pillion without losing too much sport. The two person push up is what gets tiring for me. I'm not tall so sportbikes are actually fairly comfortable. I will still have the 1098 if I really need to hoon it up.
Has anyone made this same jump? I will want to put the N1K on a diet as soon as parts make that an option.

Cheers!
RobF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 PM

Welcome and good luck with your choice.

We've been riding around the same amount of time. However, I limit myself to one bike at a time. My prior bike was a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple and modded it more for performance and upgraded the suspension. I now have a 2019 N1K.

I can't be any happier. It has more comfort and way more power. Plus wind protection coming from the Speed Triple is so much better. I would have never considered taking my wife on the Speed Triple, but would with this one. However, as others may say, they don't find the bike great for pillion. Yet, I don't know if things have improved for the 2020 model.
I do commute to work a few times a week, but my passion is canyons and all day rides. So far the weather hasnt cooperated for a whole day but it's nice in the canyons. But I do miss the Triple with the rearsets and Ohlins. Nonetheless, I still don't regret my purchase.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 06:13 PM

I did not make that jump per se, but I have had an 1199 Panigale for seven years now, which overlapped with my owning a Ninja 1000. See my sig for my current bikes. I normally ride my 1199 150-175 miles at a time. Iíve done as much as 375 mile days on the 1199, but admit that is too long of a day on that bike.

On the other hand, 350 mile days are a piece of cake on the N1K. 500 would be easy. Keep in mind Iím 67 years old. Bikes like the N1K is what people really should be buying for the street instead of pure sport bikes. But owning multiple bikes is the ultimate answer.

Jim
2017 FJR1300ES, 2017 Superduke GT, 2012 1199 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 06:19 PM
OCL

I had a 2015 Honda CBR600rr that I sold in 2018 to get my N1k. I loved my CBR600rr. Still do (my friend owns it now). I miss it's lightweight handling, and its electric motor smooth inline 4 that revved to the Moon.

Having said that, I'm over it. I want to be comfortable all day long. The Ninja 1000 is that bike that is a sportbike first, comfortable sport-tourer second. She looks, sounds, and feels sporty. Her gearbox is a close ratio (just like your ZX6R). Her brakes are strong. Her handling is super stable and relatively flickable. Yet she is all day comfortable. She protects you from the wind. She can carry bags. She can go long distance without torturing your body.

I test rode the Ducati Super sport and the Suzuki GSXS1000f. Ducati was not even close performance-wise. Just didn't have the motor. Not slow. But slow compared to the N1k. The Suzuki is close...very close....and faster on top. But the Suzuki doesn't have the features of the N1k. And it's just damn ugly.

Honestly, I don't miss my CBR600RR. There's never a day when I wish I had it back. I watch my friend ride my old CBR, and he loves it and I'm glad. But I have no regrets. I can keep up with him easily on my N1k. And when I see him stretching and aching after 150 miles, while I'm still good to go, I know I made the right decision.
RobF likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

We've been riding around the same amount of time. However, I limit myself to one bike at a time. My prior bike was a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple and modded it more for performance and upgraded the suspension. I now have a 2019 N1K.

I can't be any happier. It has more comfort and way more power. Plus wind protection coming from the Speed Triple is so much better. I would have never considered taking my wife on the Speed Triple, but would with this one. However, as others may say, they don't find the bike great for pillion. Yet, I don't know if things have improved for the 2020 model.
I do commute to work a few times a week, but my passion is canyons and all day rides. So far the weather hasnt cooperated for a whole day but it's nice in the canyons. But I do miss the Triple with the rearsets and Ohlins. Nonetheless, I still don't regret my purchase.
So have you put the Wife on the back? How did she rate it? My missus can handle the zx6 for a few hours but after that it she is less comfortable for sure. Honestly its me that cant handle the two up on a sportbike.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I did not make that jump per se, but I have had an 1199 Panigale for seven years now, which overlapped with my owning a Ninja 1000. See my sig for my current bikes. I normally ride my 1199 150-175 miles at a time. Iíve done as much as 375 mile days on the 1199, but admit that is too long of a day on that bike.

On the other hand, 350 mile days are a piece of cake on the N1K. 500 would be easy. Keep in mind Iím 67 years old. Bikes like the N1K is what people really should be buying for the street instead of pure sport bikes. But owning multiple bikes is the ultimate answer.
67 years young if you have a panagale! I like them but could not get over the shock placement. Hits my leg at a standstill. Plus to me the 1098 is the perfect analog bike. Its also one of the best looking IMHO. That said they have been making awesome bikes since the 1098.
I can commute on it but its just a harder bike to ride. The zx6 is easy and has enough torque. Its not a normal commuter but I have a lot of highway. I don't think I would "sportbike" in the city.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCL View Post
I had a 2015 Honda CBR600rr that I sold in 2018 to get my N1k. I loved my CBR600rr. Still do (my friend owns it now). I miss it's lightweight handling, and its electric motor smooth inline 4 that revved to the Moon.

Having said that, I'm over it. I want to be comfortable all day long. The Ninja 1000 is that bike that is a sportbike first, comfortable sport-tourer second. She looks, sounds, and feels sporty. Her gearbox is a close ratio (just like your ZX6R). Her brakes are strong. Her handling is super stable and relatively flickable. Yet she is all day comfortable. She protects you from the wind. She can carry bags. She can go long distance without torturing your body.

I test rode the Ducati Super sport and the Suzuki GSXS1000f. Ducati was not even close performance-wise. Just didn't have the motor. Not slow. But slow compared to the N1k. The Suzuki is close...very close....and faster on top. But the Suzuki doesn't have the features of the N1k. And it's just damn ugly.

Honestly, I don't miss my CBR600RR. There's never a day when I wish I had it back. I watch my friend ride my old CBR, and he loves it and I'm glad. But I have no regrets. I can keep up with him easily on my N1k. And when I see him stretching and aching after 150 miles, while I'm still good to go, I know I made the right decision.

This is exactly what I am hoping to achieve!
post #8 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zx636 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

So have you put the Wife on the back? How did she rate it? My missus can handle the zx6 for a few hours but after that it she is less comfortable for sure. Honestly its me that cant handle the two up on a sportbike.
Not yet and I don't know if she will soon. She vowed to never ride as long as we have minor kids and the youngest is 16. I'd like her to and mentioned it and she said OK. We'll see. Lol.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-11-2020, 09:09 PM

The rear top box with back rest makes a big difference for pillion riders, me and my wife have logged thousands of miles on the N1K

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #10 of 18 Old 02-12-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
The rear top box with back rest makes a big difference for pillion riders, me and my wife have logged thousands of miles on the N1K
Oh, to be young and flexible again... Or maybe she's really short and bendy?

Not much room back there and pretty cramped but a back rest does make it much more comfortable (safe?) for passengers.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page