Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

new owner in Alberta

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  kenors 
#1 ·
Hi All, just want to say hi.

I just bought a 2014 Ninja 1000 in cascade blue with colour matched KQR hardcases. 11,000km (6,875mi) all original including the tires which was ridden by a 50 yo lady rider as her and her husband are getting out of bikes - he sold his Connie the same day I picked this up.

A bit higher mileage than I would have liked, but the condition is fantastic and the Alberta bike market has much less options out there to be picky. $7,500CDN ($5,550USD) - hope I didn't pay too much but what can you do, the color made my wife smile...

Looking forward to spending time detailing the hell out of it and getting it ready to go for the spring. 15 years without a bike and I think I made a good choice as a 2020 Ninja 1000SX would have been almost $17,000CDN out the door from the stealership

#2 ·
My blue '14 had 68k miles on it and was still in excellent condition when one of your Canadian truckers decided to end it's life. :( So you have a lot of life left in that bike. Where are you in Alberta? I go through Jasper/Lake Louise/Waterton Parks almost every year.

#10 · (Edited)
Neat. I almost made it to Red Deer one year. I took 11 east out of the park as a side trip off the parkway. Then it turned perfectly straight and I turned around and headed back. :) Next time we do the parkway maybe we can hook up at the Crossing or Lake Louise.

Welcome to the forum. If you plan on doing some of your own work on the bike here's where you can download a service manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp56bwrwb69i3aj/2014-2015-Z1000%20Service%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

I was a Pilot Road 2,3,4,5 fan until I tried the new Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Even better IMHO. /55 rear profile, of course.

#5 ·
Hi there - yes, Ivan is on my radar as well as taller gearing. Motorcyclist had one of these as a long termer in 2015 and they had some great insight and recommendations. I wish the full Akro system wasn't so damn expensive because Ivan's dyno chart with that exhaust and reflash is pretty nice.

Going to put fresh tires on (likely Angel GT II) and ride it before doing too much - except I may send the ECU out before spring. I'm not going to drop that much coin on an exhaust but the gains from just the ECU sound well worth the $350USD.

#7 ·
Welcome Jtkrawiec
"A bit higher mileage than I would have liked"

Don't see how you can do any better on the mileage, 11 k is great as long as it hasn't been sitting for extended periods,,. You probable will want to flush the fluids through if it hasn't already been done, however a side from that you should be good to go for a long while?

#8 ·
The bike sat in the crate until the 2016 riding season when the other owner bought it and then rode it every year. All fluids will be replaced including the brake fluid, still looking into all the little details as I get a bit carried away, lol. Mechanic and engineer...

Since you've been here for so long, could you answer me this? Can I get a centre stand for the 2014 if the exhaust is replaced with a full system?

And I see you put on the 55 rear - how much better is that for turn in than the 50? I gotta spoon on a fresh set as the original's are toast and won't be able to ride it before I choose new shoes. Lots of flat roads out here so a supersport tire is hard to keep profiled during its life. Thinking Angel GT IIs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.