New to Kawis - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

New to Kawis

Howdy everyone. I'm looking to purchase either a Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX or a Suzuki GSX-S1000F. This won't happen until next year. Currently I'm riding a BMW K1200LT I purchased from a friend. It's taught me about fairings, heated grips, and cruise control. Not to mention the smoothness of inline fours. It's also taught me that I don't need/want the Queen Mary, either. Curb weight around 850 pounds, and it carries its weight up high. At 64, I'm not quite the man I was and this much weight with a high c of g is not the recipe for fun.

I like the Kawi for the cruise control, ready to go panniers, better tires, better electronics package, factory heated grips available, and damn if I don't just like the look of it.

The Zook has much less in regard to electronics and just overall refinement, but it does have that K5 motor. Luggage is not as clean as Kawasaki's offering. In general, Suzukis seem to always turn well. I'm not thrilled with the styling, looks a bit like a scooter from the front. That's not a big consideration as I can't see the bike while riding it.

I never go on short rides, we live in the country. Minimum of 120 miles, in the mountains. My longer rides are 250-300 miles as I've discovered my arse is no longer willing to support longer rides. Anyway, I'm grateful this forum is available and look forward to learning all I can. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 05:45 PM

Well.....we are probably a bit biased here for the obvious reason. But either bike will give you the agility and performance you desire. The Suzuki does have a great motor but the Kawi is no slouch and any difference in performance between the two will likely be negligible over time. The Kawasaki I believe will be the better tourer, and based on history return superb reliability. If you do end up with the Kawi, check to see if they are still selling it with the 190/50 rear tire. A 190/55 will make a noticeable improvement in handling.
steampunk#230 likes this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.....ECU reflashed by Ivan.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 08:07 PM

Suzuki is just to ugly

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 08:34 PM

I'm in essentially the same boat, though my current ride is a FJR1300...also wanted to shed some weight, ride something lighter and more nimble, something sporty in looks and handling, and have decided on a Ninja 1000. In two, three months one will be in my garage.

I considered the R1200RS (or now R1250RS), the Speed Triple, the Honda CBR1000R, Multistrada, and a few others, including a couple in the ADV segment. However, I've never been a Suzuki fan, so while of course it was on my radar the GSX-S1000F was never a serious contender...as someone who's had to make the same decision, I'm confident that I made the right choice.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 PM

I wish we got paid for everytime we called the Suzuki a scooter. My ninja was fairly new when that Suzuki was released. A trade, back then, could have been made without that much money changing hands.

My shop had the gsxf sitting right next to a gsxr 750 . The gsxr 750 had a high bar kit on it. At that point, you could see that gsxs fairing was way, way too similar to a gsxr, pretty much useless for the upright bars.. The electronics it has were nothing compared to a modern Ninja.

Seeing them together made me realize I could make a far better gsxf if I started with a k5 or k6 gsxr, and added high bars, seat and rearsets. Maybe even a larger windshield. At that point you have the real engine, and real suspension. Cost would be half of a new bike.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2020, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I do find myself leaning toward the Kawasaki for a few reasons. Well, I love the styling. Should be well down the list, but if you don't get a bit giddy when the garage door rolls up... Cruise control, so handy. Not an absolute necessity, but after riding a bike with it, it's almost a deal breaker. Heated grips, in Colorado, are a huge plus. Oxfords can be fitted for $100US or the expensive factory option integrated into the bike. I'm sure others will be looking at the up and down quick shifter and six axis IMU and these are excellent adds to an already amazing motorcycle, but I keep being pushed toward the green because of the features I've mentioned. Again, thank you for your replies.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmark101 View Post
Well.....we are probably a bit biased here for the obvious reason. But either bike will give you the agility and performance you desire. The Suzuki does have a great motor but the Kawi is no slouch and any difference in performance between the two will likely be negligible over time. The Kawasaki I believe will be the better tourer, and based on history return superb reliability. If you do end up with the Kawi, check to see if they are still selling it with the 190/50 rear tire. A 190/55 will make a noticeable improvement in handling.
I'll be the one to differ on the power difference category. It's roughly the same engine as my 06 GSXR1000, only cams, exhaust and tune difference. I put a set of Yosh cams, thin gasket and a full titanium Akra in mine. My butt dyno says it's close in power to my H2 SX, being so much lighter.

There's no cure for how ugly that GSX-F is though. It's why I put an ABM top bar on my GSXR, as I'm just not interested on laying on a tank unless I'm on a track. I'll use it for peppy overnighter's, and use the H2 SX for long trips.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-18-2020, 08:50 PM
57x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I wish we got paid for everytime we called the Suzuki a scooter. My ninja was fairly new when that Suzuki was released. A trade, back then, could have been made without that much money changing hands.

My shop had the gsxf sitting right next to a gsxr 750 . The gsxr 750 had a high bar kit on it. At that point, you could see that gsxs fairing was way, way too similar to a gsxr, pretty much useless for the upright bars.. The electronics it has were nothing compared to a modern Ninja.

Seeing them together made me realize I could make a far better gsxf if I started with a k5 or k6 gsxr, and added high bars, seat and rearsets. Maybe even a larger windshield. At that point you have the real engine, and real suspension. Cost would be half of a new bike.
As my earlier comment, I'm making one with my 06 GSXR1000. I already have the Zero Gravity touring screen and it came with a nice seat and Vortex rearsets so I can play with foot placement. I'm just waiting a month for the damn ABM upper triple to come in from Germany.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-20-2020, 04:13 AM

In the ‘sport-tourer’ segment there is no bike that leans as much towards the ‘sport’ end of the sport-tourer spectrum as the Suzuki. I’d pick the GSX-F for its stonking engine and it’s R derived frame. But a motorcycle is so much more than a sum of its parts. The Ninja is a well-rounded package that will please all, it will never be a serial offender like the GSX-F potentially could. There is nothing to dislike on the Ninja, no real bugbear comes to mind. The Suzuki is your mistress, good to get the occasional shot of adrenaline while the Ninja is the wife you’re happy to come home to every single day.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
In the ‘sport-tourer’ segment there is no bike that leans as much towards the ‘sport’ end of the sport-tourer spectrum as the Suzuki. I’d pick the GSX-F for its stonking engine and it’s R derived frame. But a motorcycle is so much more than a sum of its parts. The Ninja is a well-rounded package that will please all, it will never be a serial offender like the GSX-F potentially could. There is nothing to dislike on the Ninja, no real bugbear comes to mind. The Suzuki is your mistress, good to get the occasional shot of adrenaline while the Ninja is the wife you’re happy to come home to every single day.
Can you think of anymore cliches?
rcannon409 likes this.

2015 Ninja 1000-Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Carbon Grey, Evotech Tidy Tail, Puig Windscreen (light smoke), Pirelli Angel GTs (190/55 rear), Sargent Seat, Kawasaki Hard Bags, Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Bar Ends

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page