New member, but some of you know me - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 12-05-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

New member, but some of you know me

Some remember me from the other forum. I had a 2011 Ninja 1000 for three years. The 2020 upgrades have me interested in another one. That conversation will continue in other threads.

For those that don't know me, I started riding in 1971, roadraced a few years in the early 80s. I'm into fast cars and motorcycles. Was into fast boats for a while until I realized I wasn't as rich as I acted.

Just turned 67 and cannot get past step one of the twelve step program. I don't think I have a problem with speed. I'm in denial! I retired the end of last year and am trying to prove everyone wrong who said "you can't ride every day". I think I'm at about 33,000 miles combined on the three bikes since the beginning of this year.
HoloQuest and agurudev like this.

Jim
2017 FJR1300ES, 2017 Superduke GT, 2012 1199 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-05-2019, 10:49 PM

It made my day to see your name here. I'm glad you found the place! A few of us followed Jay here after rider forum banned him. This place took off, after that, and I cant even think of the last time I visited .

I also believe you covered at least 30k in all those years between 2011 and now....it wasnt as if this year was unique.
post #3 of 31 Old 12-05-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
It made my day to see your name here. I'm glad you found the place! A few of us followed Jay here after rider forum banned him. This place took off, after that, and I cant even think of the last time I visited .

I also believe you covered at least 30k in all those years between 2011 and now....it wasnt as if this year was unique.
Good to see you too Roland. It took me a while to figure out what happened. The other forum suffered a slow, painful death!

Actually I was 20-22,000 miles the past few years. The other fun statistic is that I have never put less than 15,000 a year on a daily driver car. I can look it up, but think I'm around 4,000 miles on my car this year. I've gone entire calendar months without putting gas in it. And as you know, I'm a huge car lover too!
Ninja Raven likes this.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 12-06-2019, 12:41 AM

Garage
Welcome, nice to hear. What cars are in your garage currently?

Ride hard, ride safe.

2018 Ninja 1000
R&G Frame Sliders
R&G Engine/Clutch Cover
K&N Air filter
De-cat and Y link Pipe
SP Engineering Demon Slip-ons
Rear grab rail delete
Smart Moto Pair Valve Eliminator and Block Off plates
post #5 of 31 Old 12-06-2019, 02:21 AM

Glad you found your way here. This is like the old Ninja forum was in it's early days. Looking forward to your insight from from a speedster's perspective.
jjscsix likes this.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #6 of 31 Old 12-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Welcome and congratulations on your retirement!! It's great to wake each day and spend it as you choose.
jjscsix likes this.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #7 of 31 Old 12-06-2019, 10:01 AM

I'm anxious to hear about the current motorcycle collection. Jim traded bikes like we trade shoes. That's not really true, though. Although the "time" portion might only be 1 year, the mile figures were always way up there. Last bikes I remember were the 2012 Panigale and the BMW 1600. The ninja was replaced with the s1000r.

Jay got into a harmless, verbal battle with "Victhing". I'm sure you remember him? I sent several pm's to the forum owners asking that they please not ban Jay. He was going through a lot and this rider forum ban would add to his misery....please dont, I pleaded. They had to be tough guys. Jay was banned, and was dead about 7 days later.

You wouldn't think banning one person would shut down a forum, but in this case, it did, This forum is great because I dont believe we have a moderator. We can have an argument, and be friends again three days later.
HoloQuest, agurudev and mr.sand like this.
post #8 of 31 Old 12-06-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agurudev View Post
Welcome, nice to hear. What cars are in your garage currently?
Well, I have a nice car, but not terribly fun. I have a 2017 BMW540 M-Sport. It was/is more of just my commuter car. I sold my last fun car, a 2009 Z06 seven years ago because it was sitting in the garage most of the time while I was out riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I'm anxious to hear about the current motorcycle collection. Jim traded bikes like we trade shoes. That's not really true, though. Although the "time" portion might only be 1 year, the mile figures were always way up there. Last bikes I remember were the 2012 Panigale and the BMW 1600. The ninja was replaced with the s1000r.

Jay got into a harmless, verbal battle with "Victhing". I'm sure you remember him? I sent several pm's to the forum owners asking that they please not ban Jay. He was going through a lot and this rider forum ban would add to his misery....please dont, I pleaded. They had to be tough guys. Jay was banned, and was dead about 7 days later.

You wouldn't think banning one person would shut down a forum, but in this case, it did, This forum is great because I dont believe we have a moderator. We can have an argument, and be friends again three days later.
Roland, you are of course right. I had two 1600s that I put a total of 60,000 miles on. The day after I retired the end of last year I traded for a 2017 (leftover) FJR ES. I know I’m going to rack up a lot of miles on it so I went back to Japanese reliability. I had a 2006 FJR and I always loved them anyway.

Two years ago I traded the S1000R for a Superduke GT. I liked the idea of the performance but with saddlebags and general touring comfort to use it for 3-4 day trips to the Texas Hill country.

While I love the Superduke, I may trade it for the new Ninja 1000 for the same reason I bought the FJR. The Ninja is a pretty much bulletproof bike that I can rack up a lot of miles on. And it now has features that have come to be “must haves” for me.

The Panigale May go to my grave with me when I’m 100 years old. At this point it’s not worth much on a trade and I love the bike. Since I retired it’s not unusual for me to ride it a couple of times a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D913A785-8A42-4758-93FF-D86B9B8E939E.jpg (213.7 KB, 13 views)
agurudev likes this.

Jim
post #9 of 31 Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenors View Post
Glad you found your way here. This is like the old Ninja forum was in it's early days. Looking forward to your insight from from a speedster's perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmark101 View Post
Welcome and congratulations on your retirement!! It's great to wake each day and spend it as you choose.
d

Good to see y’all here too.

Jim
post #10 of 31 Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 PM

The superduke.....thats right. You traded the first 1600 because the later bikes had a better transmission.

So, if we go back to the Superduke, the only part we all questioned was its reliability. Anyway, how was yours? Any problems with it?

Rock made a similar switch, back in 2017. He had the s1000r, s1000xr, and the superduke, oh, and a 1200rs. Although he never liked any of them, and I dont mean to speak for him, but he ended up back on a Ninja. Not because it was better...well, it became better once reliability was factored in.

Im at the same point with my c14 and my Ninja. Money wise, I couldn't trade both in and leave on a Ninja 650 and not owe money.

Just as you sold your Ninja, Ivan released the "E6" flash for the 11-13. Its probably at least 10x better than what we had with the butterflies removed and the power commander flash. Did you ever get to try that exact flash? That stopped any and all thoughts about selling or trading mine. About the time I was done with my c14, he released a flash for that. The c14 flash is even better than the ninja flash, so there goes the idea of selling it.
mr.sand likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page