New member, but some of you know me - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 29Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 12-06-2019, 09:28 PM

And I just keep on ridin' the same ol' Ninjas...2011, 2014 and now a new 2018 sits in the garage waiting for my first ride...but I am still getting in 20k miles of riding a year.
rcannon409 and jjscsix like this.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 12-07-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Some remember me from the other forum. I had a 2011 Ninja 1000 for three years. The 2020 upgrades have me interested in another one. That conversation will continue in other threads.

For those that don't know me, I started riding in 1971, roadraced a few years in the early 80s. I'm into fast cars and motorcycles. Was into fast boats for a while until I realized I wasn't as rich as I acted.

Just turned 67 and cannot get past step one of the twelve step program. I don't think I have a problem with speed. I'm in denial! I retired the end of last year and am trying to prove everyone wrong who said "you can't ride every day". I think I'm at about 33,000 miles combined on the three bikes since the beginning of this year.
You, sir, are an inspiration!!
jjscsix likes this.

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #13 of 37 Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikram View Post
You, sir, are an inspiration!!
Iím glad to help however I can. The guy I ride with every week, year around for 14 years now, is 70. He has a Superduke R, H2 SX and FJR. He rides as hard as I do. He also just ordered a 617 HP BMW M8 Gran Coupe.
agurudev likes this.

Jim
2017 FJR1300ES, 2017 Superduke GT, 2012 1199 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 Old 12-07-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
The superduke.....thats right. You traded the first 1600 because the later bikes had a better transmission.

So, if we go back to the Superduke, the only part we all questioned was its reliability. Anyway, how was yours? Any problems with it?

Rock made a similar switch, back in 2017. He had the s1000r, s1000xr, and the superduke, oh, and a 1200rs. Although he never liked any of them, and I dont mean to speak for him, but he ended up back on a Ninja. Not because it was better...well, it became better once reliability was factored in.

Im at the same point with my c14 and my Ninja. Money wise, I couldn't trade both in and leave on a Ninja 650 and not owe money.

Just as you sold your Ninja, Ivan released the "E6" flash for the 11-13. Its probably at least 10x better than what we had with the butterflies removed and the power commander flash. Did you ever get to try that exact flash? That stopped any and all thoughts about selling or trading mine. About the time I was done with my c14, he released a flash for that. The c14 flash is even better than the ninja flash, so there goes the idea of selling it.
My Superduke, which now has somewhere around 24,000 miles on it has had one problem. Many times when starting it would make a screeching noise and the starter would slow down and sometimes even stop. I always got it started in one two tries and it was an intermittent problem.

They just recently dug into it and first replaced the starter (per KTMs instructions). That did not fix it. They then replaced the starter “torque limiter”, I think some call it a spague clutch. That is what I suspected based upon what I had read. But when he put it back together he discovered that there were two washers (spacer?) on the shaft where there should have only been one. He contacted KTM who confirmed it should not have had two. So He put it back together with just the one. I’ve ridden over 1000 miles now and it appears fixed, which I feel certain it is.

I’ve never had a vehicle that was perfect, and never will. I’m very picky. But I love the bike. Ride-ability below 4,000 is not great. A big high performance twin usually isn’t. That is my biggest complaint. The fix is obviously to ride in a low enough gear to stay above 4000 rpm. The bike is fast, has enormous mid range torque and handles welll. It is also loaded with features which I like. I had to put a Sargent seat on it, but that has become the norm for me on any bike.

When I traded the Ninja 1000 it was for two reasons. One is that is just what I do! Second is that I wanted certain features. Cruise control is now a must have. Other things like electronic suspension and tire pressure monitoring are nice to have but not required on all of my bikes. Remember too that my Ninja was not even an ABS model, much less all the new ride modes, traction control etc.

Jim

Last edited by jjscsix; 12-07-2019 at 10:25 AM.
post #15 of 37 Old 12-07-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Just turned 67 and cannot get past step one of the twelve step program. I don't think I have a problem with speed. I'm in denial! I retired the end of last year and am trying to prove everyone wrong who said "you can't ride every day". I think I'm at about 33,000 miles combined on the three bikes since the beginning of this year.
I must admit, now long into retirement, I look out at a cold rainy day and decide to do indoor projects. When I first retired there was a period of high mileage years and it was all fun miles. Not half of them from being a daily commuter. It's getting harder to plan the big trips since my riding buddies' health (and occasionally my own) seem to interfere somewhat. Still, retirement is great. When a day or few of nice weather pops up there's no asking for vacation, it's just go!
jjscsix likes this.

2018 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Puig/Vstream screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #16 of 37 Old 12-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Garage
Hey JJ as you know I traded my super duke GT in on a 2018 Ninja. I'm glad I did. It got rid of allot of headaches though the KTM was a bit more comfortable for me.
I guess you're all healed up by now? I just got most of my weight back and can now bench press again but it still hurts my sternum.
Glad you're well.
jjscsix likes this.
post #17 of 37 Old 12-08-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Hey JJ as you know I traded my super duke GT in on a 2018 Ninja. I'm glad I did. It got rid of allot of headaches though the KTM was a bit more comfortable for me.
I guess you're all healed up by now? I just got most of my weight back and can now bench press again but it still hurts my sternum.
Glad you're well.
Wow, good to see you here! Glad you are doing well.

Yes, Iím doing great. Iím still down 25 lbs from what I had been for many years. I had my one year follow up not long ago and got perfect marks from my doctor.

For those who donít know, I had quintuple bypass surgery in August last year.

Jim
post #18 of 37 Old 12-08-2019, 09:35 AM

Welcome back...the more the merrier!
jjscsix likes this.
post #19 of 37 Old 12-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Wow, good to see you here! Glad you are doing well.

Yes, I’m doing great. I’m still down 25 lbs from what I had been for many years. I had my one year follow up not long ago and got perfect marks from my doctor.

For those who don’t know, I had quintuple bypass surgery in August last year.

Thanks JJ. Good to hear your follow up went so well.. I have my one year in a month and a half.
Sometimes even the "good weight" is better being off.

I've been on here since Ninja no. 2, and stayed on until no. 3 which was exactly one year ago.

Three of us on the Superduke forum had open heart in a relatively close span. JJ, and an Aussie friend had bypasses and I had the torn valve. It was nice to have other riders to compare notes with even though you'd rather others not to have to go through that.

Last edited by Rock; 12-08-2019 at 09:47 AM.
post #20 of 37 Old 12-08-2019, 10:19 AM

Jim, I'm not sure I can even count to quintuple. My dad had a massive heart attack and several bypasses. He only lived another 32 years after surgery and zero of those years would have been been considered "healthy". I hope you guys the same 32 years. That's not fair for me to say. My dad did give up salting his food.....he kept up with the cigarettes and alcohol.

No h2sx? If I sold Kawasakis, I believe I would have driven one of those to your house for a test drive.
jjscsix likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page