New Member, not currently an N1K owner. - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CRFan1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

New Member, not currently an N1K owner.

I currently have a '17 FZ-10 and '17 M109R, my girlfriend has a '14 Stryker and a '14 Z1000, so I am familiar with the platform. My buddy is looking to pick up a sport touring bike this winter/next spring, I am pushing him toward the '17+ N1K. He currently rides a '98 Bandit 1200 S and was looking at the FJ-09/Tracer 900/GT, but I feel like you get so much more bike/tech for the money with the N1K and have always liked the N1K platform. I was happy to see the addition of the cruise control and other tech goodies on the 2020, but was a little let down that they did away with the dual exit exhaust. That was one of the reason I liked the Z1000/N1K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Garage
It's interesting how many N1K and N1K interested people end up with a lot of the same or similar bikes. I had an '01 Bandit 1200, and an '09 FZ1, and cross shopped the FZ-10/MT-10 and FJ-09/Tracer when I bought my 2018 Ninja 1000.

Having also owned a 2015 R1, if the MT-10 had at least a half fairing like my '09 FZ1 had, I'd be riding it. The Tracer's riding position and wide bars/handguards were a deal killer for me, I don't like sitting so upright and I like a bike that's better for lane splitting.

The Ninja 1000 is basically a lot like my '09 FZ1 but with better low end and mid range power, wind protection, abs, and traction control. It is slightly less nimble and doesn't have the same crazy top end rush though.

As for the dual vs single exhaust thing, I didn't really care about that look wise. Once I found out going to a full Akrapovic single exhaust over the stock dual exhaust knocked off 21lbs and gained 15hp I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Anyways, they did not change the bike so radically, so I suppose one could switch the 2020 back to dual exhaust if they really wanted to. There are aftermaket dual exhaust headers available. Certainly wouldn't let that alone be a deal killer compared to everything else the '20 gains over the '17-'19.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #3 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

It's a great bike and I just picked up a mint 2014. I would not discount the 14-16 models either. Some have low mileage and were bought as leftovers. They also have ABS and TC. You can't go wrong with any of them and best of all Ivan has an ECU flash for them and there is a TON of aftermarket support. The bike is a very capable, if not great, sport tourer and that's what I bought it for. I should have bought one years ago! If I want to get nutty, I hop on my Hypermotard but the N1K puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. It is a very solid package overall and VERY easy to work on for a modern bike.
rcannon409 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

When I crashed my '14 N1k last summer, the Tracer GT was on my short list. Two things held me back. 1 was low/midrange torque. It takes 1-2 downshifts on the Tracer to get N1k power at freeway speeds. Yeah, I know, I'm gettin' old and use to how easy it is to go fast on the Ninja. The second was price. I picked up an '18 Ninja 1000 for $7700. Couldn't find a Tracer discounted a nickle below list price. If the prices had been somewhat close I'd have had to think about it a little more but as it was it was a no brainer.
I'm pretty happy and comfy on the N1k since 2011 so that's the way I went.

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

I own a 2013 Ninja 1000 and 2019 Tracer 900 GT. Both bikes have ECU's flashed by Ivan. The Ninja is more on the sport side of the sport touring equation for sure with a more aggressive riding position that is still pretty comfortable. The Ninja also has more low and midrange power. The Tracer is more comfortable with better ergonomics…… a more upright riding position and more legroom. The triple engine in the Tracer is brilliant with plenty of power everywhere. At low rpm it pulls strong and just keeps ripping all the way to red line, never feeling strained. The Tracer feels lighter in transitions from corner to corner and tips into the corners with less effort but runs out of ground clearance before the Ninja. If I want to aggressively attack the twisties, the Ninja is the slightly better choice. For longer rides or multi day road trips the Tracer is the better choice. Tracer comes loaded with nice features like TC and ABS, slip/assist clutch, cruise control, heated grips, quick shifter, TFT display and standard panniers. The new 2020 Ninja has these things as well but only the 2020. The TC/ABS on the Ninja is more advanced with the 5 axis IMU. I was glad to find out that Ivan has a reflash for the Tracer as the stock fueling was a little abrupt in fuel map "A".

If I had to pick between the two and was getting a 2020 model I would go for the Ninja. If looking at a 2019 or older Ninja, the Tracer GT becomes more attractive with all the standard features. Both are excellent bikes and you can not go wrong either way.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Last edited by Johnmark101; Yesterday at 07:13 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old Today, 01:53 PM

The Ninja 1000 is significantly more powerful and has a wider powerband: Yamaha quotes peak power as 113.5 hp @ 10,000 and maximum torque of 64.5 ft-lbs at 8500, compare that to the N1K's 140 hp @ 10,000 and 82 ft-lbs @ 7300 rpm (NOTE: Kawasaki say the 2020's max torque is the same but comes later, @ 8000)

Without hardcases the Yamaha is ~40 pounds lighter. It feels taller and more upright, to me almost ADV-ish. Compared back to back, these two bikes don't feel at all similar from the saddle.
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickifumi View Post
The Ninja 1000 is significantly more powerful and has a wider powerband: Yamaha quotes peak power as 113.5 hp @ 10,000 and maximum torque of 64.5 ft-lbs at 8500, compare that to the N1K's 140 hp @ 10,000 and 82 ft-lbs @ 7300 rpm (NOTE: Kawasaki say the 2020's max torque is the same but comes later, @ 8000)

Without hardcases the Yamaha is ~40 pounds lighter. It feels taller and more upright, to me almost ADV-ish. Compared back to back, these two bikes don't feel at all similar from the saddle.
Uh....go back to my post. Never said the Yamaha was faster. However the numbers do not tell the whole story. My Ninja 1000 is definitely faster than My Tracer GT, but not by the margin you might expect based on power figures. The CP3 motor is brilliant and has a very flat torque curve. Between the two I definitely prefer the CP3 engines overall character in spite of the fact that the Ninja is more powerful. Never did get into the whole horsepower / bragging rights thing anyway.

Yes, it is more upright (or ADV-ish as you described), which is one of the main reasons I was looking to add it to my garage, along with a few other reasons. Certainly not everyone's taste, but when I hit the road for a few days there is no question which bike I will be on. The Tracer is the better touring bike for me, and the riding position has much to do with that, along with the more generous leg room. The Ninja is the one I will take to chase apexes with my buddies and I plan to keep it for many more years. They are both excellent sport touring bikes. Love both bikes equally but for different reasons. Would be really had for me to part with either. I hope the Yamaha will be just as durable and reliable as my Ninja.

My comments are based on living with both bikes and riding them back to back for thousands of miles.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Last edited by Johnmark101; Today at 09:16 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses guys.

My buddy isn't an aggressive rider but is looking for comfort, handling and decent power. We took a fairly long ride and I let him ride my FZ-10 and he loved it, said he could ride it all day long. Looking at the ergos of the FZ-10 vs the N1K, by adding Murph's risers and Motowerk's foot peg lowering kit makes the ergos of the N1K almost identical to the FZ-10.

I think if the price of the Tracer GT was closer, it would be a tougher decision, but with the price of the 2017-19 N1K's and the exception of cruise control, you can add all the features of the Tracer GT for the same price or less than the Tracer GT and have the IMU, better hard bags, bigger motor and better suspension. Just add a Kaoko throttle lock and you're good to go.

He's has been wanting a replacement for the Bandit for quite a while, but life keeps getting in the way. So I hope he's able to find a N1K at a good price this winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in