Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Really Interested In This Bike!

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  OCLandspeeder 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, thanks so much for the warm welcome!

I've been riding a 2005 Yamaha FZ1 for about the past 8 years, and am really, really curious about the N1K. Have any of you come from a gen1 or gen2 FZ1? If so, what was that like?

Also, I've been reading some reviews and they all seem to say that the engine gets buzzy around 6,000- 8,000 rpm. Can that be cured? Is it something you can dial out?

And lastly, if I do get one, what would you say the first 3 mods I should look at doing right away?

Thanks team, looking forward to your responses and having a spirited conversation!

#2 ·
hey there.. Don't get discouraged by the lack of responses to your post. I myself was tempted to back out without replying, but I remember being in your position.

There are MANY threads out there regarding "necessary" mods. Off the top of my head, people will say
1. change tires and upgrade rear to 55 profile
2. Ivan's tune (2016 and older)
3. Exhaust

Personally, I've done none of the above. My order of operations was:

1. Add KQR bags/rails
2. Install RAM mount for phone
3. Install Sargent seat
4. Wire in voltmeter/usb charger and garage door opener

Main reason I haven't done any of the first three I mentioned is simple. My old bike was a 1990 ZX11. I loved it, it was fantastic and I thought I'd never upgrade, however I grew tired of messing with the carbs every season, along with other maintenance items due to age/wear at 30k miles. Insert my '16 N1K.
By comparison this bike is light, nimble, smooth, and fast. Not that my ZX11 didn't scream, but this one transfers much more torque to the ground, at least by my butt dyno's measurement. I am for sure going to do the Ivan's, but doubt I'll spend for full header/exhaust setup. May go with Urban Brawlers just to change the look.

Side note: My main riding would be considered commuting. I often have my KQR bags on and am heading to or from work. 2 young children at home, so rarely do I just take off for the afternoon for joy riding. As such, I'm nearly never in a full lean or carving through back to back twisties. Your experience may vary :)

#3 ·
Had a 2009 FZ1 for 6 years. Then I got a 2015 R1, which I totaled. :( Then I got my '18 N1K. N1K doesn't slightly less as well as the FZ1 and doesn't have the same top end rush, but it has better low end power and wind protection. They are definitely very similar bikes and it's clear that Kawasaki had the FZ1 and VFR as targets when they came up with the N1K.

If the MT-10 had at least a half faring like the 1st and 2nd gen FZ1, I'd be riding it. It doesn't though, so I'm riding the N1K.

#4 · (Edited)
I like Icari's suggestions and we all have our personal leanings of course. For me, The number 1 thing was getting rid of that hideous looking exhaust. Lots of solutions for that, and I went with thge Hot Bodies carbon fiber with the flange at the end. Produces a niuce throaty sound without being obnoxiously loud. Great looking and big weight saver. The fender has to go unless you do some rain riding, I guess. Got the Motodynamic for mine and it looks really nice. Both of my suggestions were pretty reasonable price-wise too. https://www.hotbodiesracing.com/product/kawasaki-z1000-2014-15-mgp-exhaust The other thing I'd say, just from my own post about it, is that the seat is not very good at all. Too stiff, numbs your legs even after fairly short distances, very disappointing, especially given the big costs of replacing it. Kawasaki should at least give you the option so that you don;t have to pay 500 bills for their own gel seat.

#5 ·
I dont know of any members here who owned fz1's before the Ninja. That is strange, as the two bikes are so similar. What gen fz1? The first gen was an amazing bike. I dont think the ninja can ever match that bikes comfort level. In modern times, what could? I think that's probably the best mid weight touring bike ever made.

I saw your question on the fz1 forum, too. Most of them are talking themselves out of the Ninja because of vibration. Seriously, the bike does have some. A full exhaust and an Ivan's reflash really helps on the 11-16 bikes. Plus, you pick up a bunch of low end power and torque, too. The ninja has low end and midrange that an fz1 will never have and the vibration really is not a significant thing. Heavy bar ends help, too. The stock pegs are rubber mounted, so they stay pretty much vibration free.

On the fz1 forum, I dont think I'd spend much time listening to the person who wont own a bike unless the cc's are listed. In other words, a "z1000" would be ok, but a "zx14" would not. If he bought the zx14, I suppose people will think his bike only had 14cc, and that would bother him.? That's really strange. Even still, this bike is "The Ninja 1000", so it passes his test.

Insurance is a legit concern, although many of us had to shop around for a decent price.

The electronics on the 2017 and newer bikes.....if safety, abs and traction control are a plus, then that bike is in a class of it's own. No one has all of that for a selling price of 10-11k. The optional bags are awesome, too.

Reactions: Gorilla
#6 ·
Reactions: nucleus
#8 ·
I should have said not many...i would never forget you, but i think of you mostly with the r1. A terrible omission on my part! ... When the ninja came out, in late 2010, rider forum was popular. There were several fz1 owners who joined and considered making the switch. In the end, most did not. Many had already modded the fz, with Ivans stuff.

The bikes were even more similar with no electronics or abs. Few ninjas had abs in the first years. . Real soon it was obvious the ninja was going to need a power commander, suspension, exhaust and the same mods the guys had done with their fz1.

It sounds like the new ninja is much better and probably doesn't need all the mods we had to do.

#10 ·
I had two 1st gen FZ1's many years ago. I would say my 2017 N1K is better in almost every way. Engine is a little buzzy up around 6000 RPM, but nothing that really bothers me. Each to their own I guess. The handling is spot on with the 17+ models and the engine and gearbox are smooth as butter. Would not think about going back to an FZ1 although I've never ridden the later generations. First mods on my list are already in progress. Getting a 4-1 Akrapovic full system with an ECU flash by a tuner using the Woolich map as a starting point along with having a 16T front sprocket put on. Also frame sliders are a must for any bike. I bought mine used and the previous owner did the fender eliminator kit and put on an aftermarket dark smoke windscreen, Puig I think. I like it a lot.

#12 ·
The N1k has vibrations above 6k, gets stronger at 7k, from there it remains consistently the same.

How will that affect you? Not a whole lot because you will be spending most of your time below 7k RPM. At 6k RPM, in 6th gear you will be cruising at 85 mph. It's pretty smooth there. In fact, even though it's less smooth at 6,500 RPM, it's nothing bad but you will closing in on 100 mph, and at 7k RPM, you will be well above 100 and you will be way too busy keeping your head down at that point and avoiding tickets to notice any vibrations.

When riding in twisty roads, you'll be spending most of your time between 5k-7k RPM if you keep the bike in say, 3rd gear, a bit lower if you keep the bike in 4th gear. Again, the bike is geared so that most of your time will be below the strongest vibration zone because the bike will be moving pretty rapidly.

How much vibration it has is hard to describe. You need a basis of comparison. I think it's smooth MOST times until I really get on it but by then I'm going so fast I don't have time to even think about it. Once in the desert I was following this fast car moving at 100-120 mph. So basically in the "angry" zone of 7k RPM give or take 300 RPM, and I remember thinking damn I'm going fast and not damn this thing vibes! So I guess I didn't think it was bad.

#13 ·
I have a stock 18 and I haven't noticed any major vibes under 8k rpms. I;m at 6-7k for long stretches and it's just find by me. But then again I'm coming of a bee hive of an S1000XR and vibey assed twin in my super duke.

Consider any vibrations foreplay :grin:

#18 ·
This bike does have a secondary balancer, so it is more smooth than a normal inline 4. The concours 14 and zx14 have what amounts to two balances, so those are pretty much vibration free......people still buy heavy bar ends for those bikes, too.

My yz 250 dirtbike vibrates. In 30 minutes, you need to stop and let the blood flow back into your hands. My ninja vibrates, but after 2 hrs , it's still a big " so what"? I switched over to solid mounted rearsets and the vibration level is still at that so what level.

Also, the vibration we feel is not entirely design related. Ivan's flash proves this. If you call him, he can tell you what he does. It's not my place to disclose what it is. When he first told me, I said, " Your f-ing kidding me? No....they dont do that, do they?"

#19 ·
I just got back from a 300 mile sport ride, lots of twisties in 2nd and 3rd gear, top end pulls, and the long freeway drone home. I thought about this thread during the ride, paying particular attention to vibrations at different RPM's. This on a completely stock 2018 N1k. I didn't redline the bike...maybe 9k RPM at most. I don't even think I went WOT but I did open the throttle quite a bit.

I REALLY had to pay attention to it because, I could feel the engine was running, but the vibes were....distant. There was MORE vibes right off idle at first at small throttle opening. But at speed, in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear, revving the engine across 3k RPM to 8k RPM, there really wasn't anything close to excessive vibrations. Not even moderate in my opinion. I just knew the engine was running but that was combined with exhaust sound. It's close to the vibes of my 2015 CBR600rr, just a little more.

So if I were to characterize the N1k's vibes in one sentence: It has SOME vibrations but hardly noticeable 99% of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.