Really Interested In This Bike! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrmeltr View Post
Had a 2009 FZ1 for 6 years. Then I got a 2015 R1, which I totaled. Then I got my '18 N1K. N1K doesn't slightly less as well as the FZ1 and doesn't have the same top end rush, but it has better low end power and wind protection. They are definitely very similar bikes and it's clear that Kawasaki had the FZ1 and VFR as targets when they came up with the N1K.

If the MT-10 had at least a half faring like the 1st and 2nd gen FZ1, I'd be riding it. It doesn't though, so I'm riding the N1K.
Thanks for the reply! By the way, does the 2018 have any significant vibration? I've heard that this bike has a curious vibration around 6-8,000 rpm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 PM

The N1k has vibrations above 6k, gets stronger at 7k, from there it remains consistently the same.

How will that affect you? Not a whole lot because you will be spending most of your time below 7k RPM. At 6k RPM, in 6th gear you will be cruising at 85 mph. It's pretty smooth there. In fact, even though it's less smooth at 6,500 RPM, it's nothing bad but you will closing in on 100 mph, and at 7k RPM, you will be well above 100 and you will be way too busy keeping your head down at that point and avoiding tickets to notice any vibrations.

When riding in twisty roads, you'll be spending most of your time between 5k-7k RPM if you keep the bike in say, 3rd gear, a bit lower if you keep the bike in 4th gear. Again, the bike is geared so that most of your time will be below the strongest vibration zone because the bike will be moving pretty rapidly.

How much vibration it has is hard to describe. You need a basis of comparison. I think it's smooth MOST times until I really get on it but by then I'm going so fast I don't have time to even think about it. Once in the desert I was following this fast car moving at 100-120 mph. So basically in the "angry" zone of 7k RPM give or take 300 RPM, and I remember thinking damn I'm going fast and not damn this thing vibes! So I guess I didn't think it was bad.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Garage
I have a stock 18 and I haven't noticed any major vibes under 8k rpms. I;m at 6-7k for long stretches and it's just find by me. But then again I'm coming of a bee hive of an S1000XR and vibey assed twin in my super duke.

Consider any vibrations foreplay
Gorilla likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I have a stock 18 and I haven't noticed any major vibes under 8k rpms. I;m at 6-7k for long stretches and it's just find by me. But then again I'm coming of a bee hive of an S1000XR

Consider any vibrations foreplay
Hilarious!!! I have heard those S1000XR's had some crazy vibrations....
post #15 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 10:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
Hilarious!!! I have heard those S1000XR's had some crazy vibrations....
My teeth are still ratteling
post #16 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
Thanks for the reply! By the way, does the 2018 have any significant vibration? I've heard that this bike has a curious vibration around 6-8,000 rpm?
I've never noticed it, to be honest. I think the bike is pretty smooth everywhere.
Ninja Raven likes this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 09:13 AM

I think OC nailed the whole issue. I haven't noticed vibrations at all, but rarely am I going over that 100mph figure either. lol I can tell you pretty assuredly that the engine seems to love rpms from about 3500 - 6500. And from 0 to that 6500 figure, it is super smooth.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 09:49 AM

This bike does have a secondary balancer, so it is more smooth than a normal inline 4. The concours 14 and zx14 have what amounts to two balances, so those are pretty much vibration free......people still buy heavy bar ends for those bikes, too.

My yz 250 dirtbike vibrates. In 30 minutes, you need to stop and let the blood flow back into your hands. My ninja vibrates, but after 2 hrs , it's still a big " so what"? I switched over to solid mounted rearsets and the vibration level is still at that so what level.

Also, the vibration we feel is not entirely design related. Ivan's flash proves this. If you call him, he can tell you what he does. It's not my place to disclose what it is. When he first told me, I said, " Your f-ing kidding me? No....they dont do that, do they?"
post #19 of 19 Old 08-18-2019, 04:52 PM

I just got back from a 300 mile sport ride, lots of twisties in 2nd and 3rd gear, top end pulls, and the long freeway drone home. I thought about this thread during the ride, paying particular attention to vibrations at different RPM's. This on a completely stock 2018 N1k. I didn't redline the bike...maybe 9k RPM at most. I don't even think I went WOT but I did open the throttle quite a bit.

I REALLY had to pay attention to it because, I could feel the engine was running, but the vibes were....distant. There was MORE vibes right off idle at first at small throttle opening. But at speed, in 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear, revving the engine across 3k RPM to 8k RPM, there really wasn't anything close to excessive vibrations. Not even moderate in my opinion. I just knew the engine was running but that was combined with exhaust sound. It's close to the vibes of my 2015 CBR600rr, just a little more.

So if I were to characterize the N1k's vibes in one sentence: It has SOME vibrations but hardly noticeable 99% of the time.
tyrmeltr and Ninja Raven like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page