Hopeful new n1k owner. - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayner
  • 1 Post By Rock
  • 2 Post By OCLandspeeder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-09-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Hopeful new n1k owner.

Just joined looking for more in-depth info on the bike. Currently riding a Triumph Street Triple. It’s a great bike for 10% of the riding I do. Looking for a more versatile bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 PM

Garage
Welcome, are you currently riding the 675 or the 765?

Ride hard, ride safe.

2018 Ninja 1000
R&G Frame Sliders
R&G Engine/Clutch Cover
K&N Air filter
De-cat and Y link Pipe
SP Engineering Demon Slip-ons
Rear grab rail delete
post #3 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

agurudev likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
Welcome aboard.
In my opinion you'll find the "stock" N1K a little heavy and slower to turn in them your current stead. Please note I said stock though because this bike responds well to mods and at its purchase price its doesn't break the bank.

To start a good set of sport oriented tires with a 55 rear well work wonders on the turn in.... and willingness to get deep is better the sportier they are. 99% of everyone who makes that change wishes they would have done it sooner, me included. Just getting rid of the OEM Bridgstone S20s make the bike feel lighter then it is though so tell the dealer to throw in a set of your favorite.
A header and light weight cans of course sheds weight and depending on what you choose if you do... can shed 25 lbs pretty easily.
Next is a tune, helps throttle response although the 17 up is better then previous years there. Removes power limiters from lower gears, raises the rev limiter by 500 which this motor really doesnt need but will do all day, and of course a bump in power.
Speaking of power this bike has grunt, low down get off the line grunt with great midrange and good top end. With bags on I've shocked more then one bike that thought they were fast.
Hope you take the plunge and would be surprised if you couldn't come to love it.
Cheers Kenneth

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Yea from the research I’ve done in it, a higher profile tire helps a lot with the handling. Every fuel injected bike I’ve owned has benefitted from tweaking the fuelling. I think what has steered me towards the Ninja is its versatility and its relatively affordable. As I’m getting older my needs in a bike have changed. Still want to have fun but in the corners but also need something for a bit of touring.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 02:04 PM

I’m with Avintage the power is amazing, and with his suggested mods would make you a fun touring bike.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #7 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Garage
Even modded the Ninja will never handle like the Striple, but you mentioned you only need that sort of handling 10% of the time, which means the Ninja will be more suitable overall. There was not a profound difference between my Speed triple and Ninja, in terms of handling, and the Ninja much is better to tour on, so when I had to decide between the two the Ninja stayed.

The only place you'll miss the striple is in the tight twisties, but even then that benefit would be limited as the Ninja's power pulls you out of corners much better.

I miss the character of the triple engine but the Ninja is much better overall, and a smoother inline 4 is always better for touring at speed.
agurudev likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
Welcome aboard.
In my opinion you'll find the "stock" N1K a little heavy and slower to turn in them your current stead. Please note I said stock though because this bike responds well to mods and at its purchase price its doesn't break the bank.

To start a good set of sport oriented tires with a 55 rear well work wonders on the turn in.... and willingness to get deep is better the sportier they are. 99% of everyone who makes that change wishes they would have done it sooner, me included. Just getting rid of the OEM Bridgstone S20s make the bike feel lighter then it is though so tell the dealer to throw in a set of your favorite.
A header and light weight cans of course sheds weight and depending on what you choose if you do... can shed 25 lbs pretty easily.
Next is a tune, helps throttle response although the 17 up is better then previous years there. Removes power limiters from lower gears, raises the rev limiter by 500 which this motor really doesnt need but will do all day, and of course a bump in power.
Speaking of power this bike has grunt, low down get off the line grunt with great midrange and good top end. With bags on I've shocked more then one bike that thought they were fast.
Hope you take the plunge and would be surprised if you couldn't come to love it.
Cheers Kenneth
Thanks for the detailed response! I too am in the market for my first N1K!
post #9 of 10 Old 08-12-2019, 06:16 PM

I rode my friend's 765 RS Street Triple for a day. I rode it in urban streets, highway, and then in the mountains. Fantastic bike. It had the Ohlins rear shock, Showa BPS front fork, Brembo brakes, quick shifter, TFT display, ride modes, etc. It was fast and had a very light handling feel. The engine was relatively smooth, sounded great, and revved quickly. It also had a satisfying top end power.

My main gripes are few:
1) It's a naked. Any speed above 80 mph is a chore. A burst up to 90 is fine but any sustained cruising around 80-85 really put a lot of wind pressure on my chest and neck.
2) The clutch on the bike I rode was grabby and a bit gritty. It was a little difficult to launch from a standstill without fear of stalling it.
3) It felt like it needed a bit more front end feedback especially on long arcing turns at high speeds.
4) The front brake lever had a bit too much travel and had some sponginess in it. Still powerful though.

Compared to my 2018 Ninja 1000:
1) Lots of wind protection. Cruising all day at 85-95 mph is nothing. Even on gusty, windy days.
2) More power. The difference isn't a lot on the 765 RS, (120 rwhp vs 125 rwhp) but it's a lot more versus your 675. And it feels like the N1k has A LOT more torque that arrives sooner and stays on all the way to redline. At 125+ mph the N1k is just catching its second wind and will keep accelerating well into the 140's. The 765 RS, well if you can survive hanging on and tucking in as low as possible it may reach 140's. But at 120 it feels like your neck will get ripped off your shoulders and that's really all I could tolerate.
3) The N1k clutch is a dream. Light, progressive, easy to modulate, and very easy to launch the bike. I also felt the N1k's transmissions shifted smoother.
4) I missed the Triumph's speed shifter.
5) N1k LED headlights kick ass.
6) Handling, tight twisties, the Triumph has definite edge, faster, sweeping turns, the N1k felt better planted to me. But the N1k does need more effort because it's a lot heavier. The new N1k weigh 519 lbs. wet.
7) Finally, comfort. The N1k is a couch compared to the Triumph.
HoloQuest and nucleus like this.

Last edited by OCLandspeeder; 08-12-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Great info. Thanks all. There are quite a few for sale in my area. 2011-2015 for not a lot of money. I have a few choices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page