I'm Back with a 2017 Ninja 1000 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 07-24-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm Back with a 2017 Ninja 1000

Hi All! I used to belong to the forum some years ago when I had a 2012 Ninja 1000. Sold it and moved onto other bikes for a while. Now I'm back with a recently purchased 2017 Ninja 1000. Also picked up a 2002 ZRX1200R a few weeks ago. Now, my stable is all Kawasaki once again.

Looking forward to finding answers and enjoying the camaraderie on this forum. Pics of the new(used) bike attached.

One of my first mods may be either a rear sprocket size change to make the gearing taller and/or an ECU flash from 2 Wheel DynoWorks in Kirkland, WA. I had Ivan do an ECU flash on my 2012 Ninja 1000 and it made a world of a difference in smoothing out the jerky throttle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8111 (Medium).JPG (250.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8110 (Medium).JPG (233.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8117 (Medium).JPG (287.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8114 (Medium).JPG (263.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8119.JPG (158.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8116.JPG (193.7 KB, 15 views)
skootin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-24-2019, 11:01 PM

Welcome back and best of luck with your new bike!! Just had mine flash last week, very nice improvement overall and very happy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 43 Old 07-24-2019, 11:04 PM

Garage
Welcome "BACK" aboard. You may want to hold off on the sprocket change. So far I dont recall anyone having any luck there. The new IMU system on the 17 up seems to take a small change like the 55 rear tire but nothing more.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 07-24-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skootin View Post
Welcome back and best of luck with your new bike!! Just had mine flash last week, very nice improvement overall and very happy.

Thanks! Who did your ECU flash?
post #5 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
Welcome "BACK" aboard. You may want to hold off on the sprocket change. So far I dont recall anyone having any luck there. The new IMU system on the 17 up seems to take a small change like the 55 rear tire but nothing more.
Thanks! Not sure what you mean by no luck with the sprocket change and the IMU. What is the issue?
post #6 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 12:32 AM

Garage
It boils down to the new system being very sensitive.
But here's kawasaki saying it in their lingo

"Combined with Kawasaki’s proprietary dynamic modelling program, input from the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) enables even more precise chassis orientation awareness, the key to bringing Kawasaki’s electronics to the next level.

IMU means Enhanced Chassis Orientation Awareness.

The strength of Kawasaki’s cutting-edge electronics has always been the highly sophisticated programming that, using minimal hardware, gives the ECU an accurate real-time picture of what the chassis is doing. Kawasaki’s proprietary dynamic modelling program makes skilful use of the magic formula tyre model as it examines changes in multiple parameters, enabling it to take into account changing road and tyre conditions.
The addition of an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) enables inertia along 6 DOF (degrees of freedom) to be monitored. Acceleration along longitudinal, transverse and vertical axes, plus roll rate and pitch rate are measured. The yaw rate is calculated by the ECU. This additional feedback contributes to an even clearer real-time picture of chassis orientation, enabling even more precise management for control at the limit.
With the addition of the IMU and the latest evolution of Kawasaki’s advanced modelling software, Kawasaki’s electronic engine and chassis management technology takes the step to the next level – changing from setting-type and reaction-type systems to feedback-type systems – to deliver even greater levels of riding excitement."

I would say at least half a dozen 17 up owners have tried to install different sprockets and all have had to change back due to it throwing codes and warning lights. Seems like someone on here had asked a programmer / tuner if he could program it to except a change and am pretty sure they said no.
Ninja Raven likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #7 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killyman View Post
Thanks! Who did your ECU flash?
A local tuner, and they used Woolich Racing tune.

post #8 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skootin View Post
A local tuner, and they used Woolich Racing tune.

What year is your bike and what were the main differences you noticed after the tune?
post #9 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 AM

I, like you had a 2012 and modified it to the 9's, and purchased a 2017. Almost all the aftermarket parts from my 2012 fit on the 2017. 2WheelDynoWorks did my flash by sending it to Woolich to cut in to the ECU. This time I chose an Akro header and the stock mufflers. Runs beautifully.
post #10 of 43 Old 07-25-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddygroove View Post
I, like you had a 2012 and modified it to the 9's, and purchased a 2017. Almost all the aftermarket parts from my 2012 fit on the 2017. 2WheelDynoWorks did my flash by sending it to Woolich to cut in to the ECU. This time I chose an Akro header and the stock mufflers. Runs beautifully.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm confused about the ECU flash part. So 2WheelDynoWorks didn't actually do the flash but sent it out to Woolich? I spoke with them yesterday on the phone and they said they do it in house. Also, why did you go with the Akro header and stock cans instead of the Akro cans as well? How much smoother is the fueling/throttle on/off after the ECU flash?

I was thinking of doing the 4 into 1 Akro headers with the single can from them. A lot of money, but I've heard it really boosts performance. Only problem is it also makes it loud as f*ck supposedly. Not sure if I can tolerate an obnoxiously loud exhaust for day in day out riding on my commutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page