New Member Considering the N1K - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

New Member Considering the N1K

Hey guys. Just joined the forum. I’m from Toronto, Canada and currently ride a 2017 z900. I’m looking to upgrade to the Ninja 1000 so lurking here and reading everything I can on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 11:20 AM

The Z900 got rave reviews. I was considering this bike too before I got my '12 but I came to the conclusion I really WANT a full fairing with an adjustable windshield. I'm such a pussy when it comes to wind blast. Not really a fan of it.

The Z900 is light, handles great, has a smooth ride, and a smooth engine. Looks real good too. The only thing you'll gain on the N1k is the kick ass full fairing and adjustable windshield, plus of course the IMU ABS/TC and LED headlights and more power. But remember the N1k weighs 519 lbs. wet and the Z900 is around 468-ish.

So I'd think about this a lot of I were you. It would all boil down to how you will be riding this bike. More highway and long distance: N1k all the way. More sporty riding: Z900. But if you want BOTH and are willing to compromise on the sport part, then it's the N1k.
nucleus, Ninja Raven and axif like this.
post #3 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Shop around for insurance quotes before pulling the trigger. If you don't buy the bike in cash and need to carry full coverage as part of the financing agreement, you'll be crying yourself to sleep every night. Insurance is ridiculously higher than it shoube for this bike
gforrest2, nucleus and Ninja Raven like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 02:00 PM

I think the z900's biggest problem is Yamahas fz09. Its about 50lbs lighter, with similar power. Not as much torque, but it feels like a mountain bike in comparison.
post #5 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 02:44 PM

axif- I'm in London and just got my Ninja 1000 a week ago, upgrading from my 2018 650. I've already done 2 major upgrades and almost 800k in 6 days, so that might tell you how much I love the bike and how profound the differences are between the 2 machines. There are a couple of things I noted: I can't put my feet down flat when stopped to it's not as comfortable regarding that, it's definitely more difficult to back up and I don't particularly like my feet placement with repect to the shifter and the exhaust pipe. I already have a couple of shoe sole melt marks on the pipes, but of course, that'll probably be the last ones of those. I put Hot Bodies pipes on and that shaved over 11 pounds, so now down to around 510, new Motodynamic fender eliminator so probably another 2-3 pounds gone too. But I've found that the 1000 handles at least as nimbly as the 650, maybe even better, and the extra weight and 30mm on the back tire makes cornering a dream. The power is super linear and as smooth as you might imagine and I found the braking fantastic right from the get go. Might also add: when I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago, the green model, and at that time, I got 1 of the last 2 available in Ontario.
nucleus likes this.
post #6 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Yup I've thought long and hard about this. I love he nible Z900 but for the riding i do which is a mix of highway and twisties, I would love to have some wind protection and the added electronics are a bonus. The luggage options are also attractive on the N1K. Though pricey, the saddlebags would be great for the week long trips that I make down to the US.
Ninja Raven likes this.
post #7 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

@tcullum1995 yea i hear you on the insurance. I got a quote and it came in cheaper than my Z900. The funny thing is some insurance companies won't even give me a quote when I saw N1K. I've even tried clarifying that it's not the Zx10r but they classify it the same. Insurance underwriters really need someone who knows bikes.

@Ninja Raven good to know. I've sat on the bike and it's a little taller that the Z900 but not too bad so i should be fine on it. Yup I'm going to be looking to a couple mods once i get the bike and the Mrs. ain't going to be happy with that lol.

Whats the feedback on the stability of this bike at high speeds? The z900 is really shaky past 180kmph and I don't feel confident to push it further. Hows the N1K at higher speeds?
Ninja Raven likes this.
post #8 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axif View Post
Whats the feedback on the stability of this bike at high speeds? The z900 is really shaky past 180kmph and I don't feel confident to push it further. Hows the N1K at higher speeds?
I’ll be the bad guy here, while I haven’t ridden z900 the N1k should be much more stable than those naked street fighters (I compare to my fz09). That being said if you are concerned about the stability of these bike over 180kmph neither one would be considered a good option, maybe the N1k with sprocket change to lower the rpm, but again I would look else where if I were you, and if you are still reading my comments .... I’d suggest the Concours 14 instead .... at least the full coverage was $250/yr vs $1400 of the Ninja! And you can do well over 180 all day long without breaking a sweat.
rcannon409 likes this.
post #9 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

@DarenLine Nah the concours is too big a beast for me. I honestly don't need a bike that goes over 180 that often so it's not a deal breaker or anything for me. I just like the occasional run on a long boring road so more stability is great. Insurance on this bike here in Canada is a hit or miss. I found a company that actually considers it a sport touring but most other group it with the supersports and have the bike on a blacklist.
post #10 of 33 Old 07-10-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axif View Post
@DarenLine Nah the concours is too big a beast for me. I honestly don't need a bike that goes over 180 that often so it's not a deal breaker or anything for me. I just like the occasional run on a long boring road so more stability is great. Insurance on this bike here in Canada is a hit or miss. I found a company that actually considers it a sport touring but most other group it with the supersports and have the bike on a blacklist.
Understood, the old saying of Kawasaki Ninja 1000 is excellent in nothing, but good in everything is really true, in your case the N1k might be one of the best options. I’m getting one soon again, with the intention of occasional commuting to work, as well as weekend one or two days touring, some rides with passenger, but mostly without, keeping up canyon craving with my buddies on liter sport bikes... as well as cursing with Harley’s ... N1k checked all the boxes for me.
Ninja Raven likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page