New in Cheeseland - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-27-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Question New in Cheeseland

I stumbled on to a reasonable deal for a 13 with really low miles(3200). Don't generally buy from dealerships, but the bike is super clean and has some light touring options( heated grips, and taller windscreen). I had just unloaded my track bike since my knees are pretty much shot and track days are on the back burner for the foreseeable future. My 04 ZZR was getting pretty long in the tooth and very high in mileage so time for a change. I wasn't looking for this bike but right time and place. And a pretty nice test ride made up my mind.
Having owned a great many different brands and styles of bikes in my 4 decades of riding this Ninja 1000 reminds me a bit of the 2nd Gen FZ1. Meaning it's a good canvas for a great bike. That seat needs to go, new shock is going to be ordered shortly, and I consider that exhaust and unsightly blight on the entire motorcycling world. With that said I'm a bit afraid to ask the next question but here goes.
Is sending my ECU to Ivans worth the $350?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-27-2019, 03:53 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard, and what a great introduction.

Sounds like you've done your research and know the bike already.... you nailed the seat and shock not being the best on the market.

As for Ivan's Tune.... I love mine, heck the removal of 1st and 2nd gear limiters alone was worth it for me on my 15. So yes I'd do it

Cheers and hope you enjoy.
Kenneth

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-27-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Vintage. Next loaded question. Price is comparable Sargent, or Corbin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-27-2019, 09:47 PM

Garage
I may be one of the few that came from something much worse so found the stock seat not that bad. I do wear bike shorts or moto skivees.

I think @rcannon409 might have tried both of these seats and hopefully will see this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 02:25 AM

Welcome to Ninjaland!

I did a seat comparison between Stock, Sargent & Seth Lamm complete with pics on another forum. The pics are down a few posts. Here's a link.
https://www.riderforums.com/4th-gen-...ml#post1164754

2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Seth Lamm Seat, Puig screen, Givi XS307 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy horn, LEDPerf H7C HID lights, Aerostitch Roadcrafter
post #6 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM

Welcome!
Yes on Ivan's flash
Sergeant seat transformed the comfort
Where in Wi are you?
post #7 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Welcome, Ivan’s flash is definately worth it, RC might have an extra seat to sell, I have been using the gel seat Kawasaki has for the nk1 and it works good for me.
rcannon409 likes this.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #8 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Oshkosh area.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 05:55 PM

I'm up in Appleton. Welcome.

Everyone's going to say Ivan's flash is worth it. The one thing this bike generally needs resolved is the throttle cut. I'd say ride your bike for a while and see if the kinda severe engine braking at 0% throttle position bothers you. If it does, then yes pony up the bucks for Ivan's flash. It makes the on/off throttle less herky-jerky. But recognize that when you sell the bike an Ivan's flash doesn't add any value.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-28-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I intend to ride it for the summer without alot of major mods. Gotta do something about the shock though. May even give it a whirl on Road A in July if my knees are up to it. Going to wait until Nov/Dec depending on fall weather to yank out the ECU and send it to Ivan. Most likely gonna pony up the bucks at that time for a replacement of that eyesore stock exhaust. The seat I can deal with. Rode it for about 3 hrs today, since the weather was a gift. Not as bad as the stock seat on a Gen II FZ1. That off throttle abruptness isn't real bad compared to some of the stuff I've ridden. Going to take my time sorting this bike out as the Accountant/Wife tells me my bike whoring ways have to end for a while. That was the compromise for going with another purchase in less than a year's time. I have a feeling this bike is going to have a multi-year stay in my garage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page