RIP Kobe and Gianna - Page 5 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 42 Old 01-31-2020, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OC they also have been saying that with that particular craft and given that weather that two pilots are required due to distractions, where you may need and extra set of eyes and hands. It seems as if A) the company came in at a lower costs beucase they didn't pay for that instrument certification (I heard it costs more in insurances, reg fees, etc.), B) Kobe saved money by using one pilot, and C) more cost savings still, as it was an older craft without state of the art systems. And short a pilot.

So to me it sounds like the impactof budgetary decisions/constraints. A company I worked for made components for that chopper which I was told was sold mostly to oil companies to fly oil co execs back and forth from land and platforms in the gulf. The pictures that I have seen always had two professional looking pilots in the cockpit, like military types, not solo pilots that looked like surfers. I'm sure those million dollar execs didn't want to take any chances. Kobe shouldn't have either. With zero margin for errror in that weather one distraction would be enough with only one pilot.

RC I do wonder how much bravado was in involved with this on both the side of Kobe and the pilot. But bottom line, it screams of not being properly prepared and not taking the proper precautins. Some reports say the pilot did try to climb quickly so I think he knew he needed to be seen on radar. Maybe if there was a co pilot he would have pulled it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 42 Old 01-31-2020, 08:42 PM

Ocl, thank you for taking the time to explain this. I appreciate it.

Rock, theres a story out there where he took the Lakers owner for a ride, in a helicopter. I think that's who it was. Some VIP with the lakers. Anyway, they faked some sort of emergency, and shut the engine off, and scared the shit out of him. Just exactly what any of us would do if we had the opportunity. I thought it was pretty cool. He wasnt afraid to fuck around, and take big risks, and have fun I like that.

It's just like every accident. Change one thing and it becomes a nothing, and that one thing always sounds so easy, so simple, and so obvious. But recognizing it before is damn near impossible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page