Trail Braking... Do you? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 PM

It's nice that is has a fancy name now. Back then it was just a basic skill you must have especially modulating the brakes.
rcannon409 and tyrmeltr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 AM

I do, I do, I do, I do!!! Trail braking, like the old timers pointed out, is something we have been doing instinctively all these years. I swear by it, trailing/dragging the front brake into the turn and releasing it completely once you've apexed the turn. It shortens the wheelbase of the bike (as beautifully illustrated in the video) and also increases the contact patch between the road and the front tyre rubber. The shorter wheelbase makes the bike more agile/easier to turn while the greater contact patch gives greater grip. In addition to trailing the front brake into a turn, as RC and 57x mentioned, I occasionally use the rear brake (light application, more like a light drag) to stabilise the bike or to prevent understeer if I have gone slightly hot into the turn. The rear brake application has to be like a light drag, never a panic compression of the lever.

And yes, getting your braking right when you're (a nod to Burtcaster here :0 ) leaned over is just so much fun!!

2016 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
G&G Moto2 exhaust cans + Akrapovic exhaust header
Rapid Bike Evo fuel controller + YouTune
BMC filter
Traxxion Dynamics front forks kit + Penske shock
Hyperpro RSC Steering Damper
Rotobox Carbon Fibre 300ST Wheels
Brembo 19RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder
HEL steel brake lines
Vesrah ZZ brake pads
Rizoma tail tidy
Baja S2 Pro auxiliary lights
Kawasaki OEM Gel Seat
HVMP bar-end weights
Shogun frame sliders
Evotech Radiator Guard
post #13 of 20 Old 05-11-2019, 10:04 AM

I do for all the same reasons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 AM

It sounds like there are several of us who figured this out more so than ever learning about it? My very first motorcycle was the best and fastest Kawasaki thats ever been made. Screw the H2r, Im talking about their short lived Coyote Mini bike. This machine had front "suspension", but the rear was left to you. It did not offer handling....you just rode it around. The photo shows a front brake, but I dont think I ever used it. At that point, my best riding instruction was from the neighbor. If you even so much as looked at the front brake lever the bike would flip over and you would be dead.

The first "real" bike was the Yamaha gt 80. By then we met a friend who did know how to ride. He insisted we use the front brake at each and every stop. I do remember washing the front end out, in soft dirt, but that was the bike that taught me how to use a front brake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l2000.jpg (173.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg e795dc4258422a6349d01477a0fb797d.jpg (167.6 KB, 3 views)

2012 Ninja 1000
post #15 of 20 Old 05-11-2019, 11:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
It sounds like there are several of us who figured this out more so than ever learning about it? My very first motorcycle was the best and fastest Kawasaki thats ever been made. Screw the H2r, Im talking about their short lived Coyote Mini bike. This machine had front "suspension", but the rear was left to you. It did not offer handling....you just rode it around. The photo shows a front brake, but I dont think I ever used it. At that point, my best riding instruction was from the neighbor. If you even so much as looked at the front brake lever the bike would flip over and you would be dead.

The first "real" bike was the Yamaha gt 80. By then we met a friend who did know how to ride. He insisted we use the front brake at each and every stop. I do remember washing the front end out, in soft dirt, but that was the bike that taught me how to use a front brake.
I never knew Kawasaki made anything like that. When I was a kid, some neighbors started the trend in our neighborhood by getting the mini bikes like that, but they had briggs & stratton lawnmower engines and you bought them at Western Auto. My dad decided to get us a quality bike so my brother and I saved a few $ and my dad got us a Honda 50 trail bike. Of course we had a neighbor that always had to outdo everyone so he went and got his son, my friend, a Kawasaki 75. In addition to the additional 25cc it was a 2 cycle so it would leave my Honda 50 in the dust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kaw75.jpg (125.1 KB, 7 views)

15' N1K - Akropovic, Ivan's Tune, Puig Short for summer, V-Stream Tall for winter, Gear Indicator, Memory Foam Seat
post #16 of 20 Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtcaster View Post
Kawasaki 75. In addition to the additional 25cc it was a 2 cycle so it would leave my Honda 50 in the dust.
That rear suspension is high tech now let me tell you. Wish my Fox would have had it
L

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #17 of 20 Old 05-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avintage69 View Post
That rear suspension is high tech now let me tell you. Wish my Fox would have had it
L
The fact it even had a rear suspension was special back then. My Honda 50 did not and it was not fun even over grass clumps.

15' N1K - Akropovic, Ivan's Tune, Puig Short for summer, V-Stream Tall for winter, Gear Indicator, Memory Foam Seat
post #18 of 20 Old 05-13-2019, 08:49 AM

The Kawasaki coyote was a Briggs copy, made in Japan...no shit. Mini bikes were everywhere, like you guys are talking about. I went from the coyote, to the fox like Advintage had. The Rupp "Black Widow" was next.

Braking , back then, was different, too. You would never have needed abs. Unless you were on soft dirt, I dont believe the brakes were powerful enough to lock a wheel. There was not much skill needed to "trail brake" since the brake power levels were a 2 or 3 on the 1-10 scale.

I found a picture of Advintage camping with his Mom and Dad....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2a13ae20.jpg (125.6 KB, 10 views)

2012 Ninja 1000
post #19 of 20 Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post

I found a picture of Advintage camping with his Mom and Dad....
RC, Does look a lot like us and it could be one of those rare moments nether of my parents had a cigarette in there mouth.
rcannon409 likes this.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/38000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
post #20 of 20 Old 05-13-2019, 09:26 PM

Mama

Wow A69, your had a hot looking mom
rcannon409 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page