New 2018 Initial Thoughts - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-11-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

New 2018 Initial Thoughts

Below is my first ride thoughts on the 2018 I just purchased. This is based on a 200 mile ride on various road types. The really good news is the bikeís baseline platform is awesome in terms of: engine, braking, clutch pull & absorbing road conditions. The conís: bars, leg rooms, windscreen are all fixable with aftermarket accessories. Note: I'm 5'6", 150lbs.

Ninja First Ride Initial Impressions Ė 08.10.19

Proís:

The smoothest throttle response Iíve ever experienced, in any gear, at any speed. Even at small throttle openings in 1st gear. No on/off throttle issue at all.

Clutch worked very easily. Easy lever pull & dropped in and out of gear quickly. Only one missed shift all day, even with my boot issue (see below).

Slipper clutch worked very well & matched RPM speed allowing quick gear changes without any rear wheel hop.

Engine is powerful & capable but completely manageable & not intimidating. Engines spins up quickly but not abruptly & without hesitation in all rpm. Itís also smooth on deceleration & engine braking.

Engine braking occurs nicely without being too strong, which sets up well for great initial bite of the brakes both front & rear. The brake pull is easy, offers great feedback & the bike stops fast. Overall the brakes are confidence inspiring even at moderate lean & work very well. Didnít try the brakes going hot into a turn.

Almost any gear can operate at any speed making the bike easy to ride without feeling like your lugging the bike or running in too high an RPM.

Suspension over all road conditions was awesome. Bike was super compliant on any surface. Very comfortable.

Sargent seat worked fine. No complaints on maiden voyage. Although didnít move to rear of seat much as my reach to bars prevented it.

Reach to the ground was no problem for my 30" inseam.

Didn't have any issues hitting exhaust with boots as I've read about.

Conís:

Bar risers needed. Bars were too far away requiring a reach, which overworked neck & back muscles causing fatigue & discomfort. Canít ride long distances as is.

Lower controls need to be lowered more. Need more legroom. Legs felt cramped were uncomfortable as ride went longer. Will purchase Motowerkís.

Bike doesnít turn easily. Requires too much initial effort to steer it. This is a major complaint Iíve read about. I have a suspension tune scheduled to hopefully help & setup SAG/compression/preload for my weight. If not a 55mm tire is in my future.

Windscreen needs to be replaced. It does work & displaces some air, but doesnít provide enough protection which Iím looking for. Seemed to work best in middle setting allowing cool air to the helmet. High setting had too much turbulence at helmet.

Canít wear thick boots which I was, as it was much too difficult to get boot over & under shifter throughout the day. Had this problem all day on every shift even after adjusting shift linkage.

Didnít notice any difference between Full & Low power modes. Will need to evaluate more.

I look forward to addressing the changes on the con's list to make it a rock steady sports tourer for my needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 AM

Definitely switch out the rear tire for a 190/55 before doing any suspension mods. It will make a big difference in the way the bike handles.

2013 Ninja 1000.....Osram Nightbreakers, Pazzo levers, Vesrah pads, Puig screen, R&G frame sliders / case covers / axle protector, Sargent seat, PC5 with Ivans fuel map and ECU reflash, Akrapovic full exhaust, forks and shock rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
post #3 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Switch out the rear tire to a 190/55. No amount of suspension adjustment will give you the neutral steering you want. Increasing rear spring preload is NOT the answer. It will only address the steering to a point but not eliminate the requirement for constant bar pressure at moderate lean angles. The 55 rear will eliminate it without sacrificing ride quality that happens with more spring preload.

Ride the bike more before making ergo changes. With a 30 inch inseam the seat to peg should be perfect for you. If you lower the pegs more you loose cornering clearance. If you raise the bars higher you will get MORE wind blast. The ergo's on the bike is a delicate balance and any change to it will affect something else that you may or may not like. Been down that road on a few bikes I've owned.

I found that at the highest windshield setting, helmet choice becomes critical. The N1k really prefers a helmet designed for the upright riding position and not a more aggressive, race-style helmet. Aggressive race-style helmets with the windshield position in the highest position will have more buffeting. The older N1k's have a better windshield at the highest position. The newer N1k's have a small "double bubble" design that provides MORE wind protection at the lowest setting but creates slightly more wind buffeting at the highest setting. It's another one of those that was carefully balanced by Kawasaki. In my personal opinion, the older N1k windshield was quieter at the highest position than the new N1k windshield.
ykun and N1KLife like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 06:24 PM

Garage
Man goes to show everyone has different tastes. Remember it's a SPORT tourer, not a Gold Wing. In fact it's perhaps the smallest and sportiest sport tourer in the liter plus class. Too many people here seem to disregard the sport part and over emphasize the tour part. I think the Concourse or FJR might be a better bike for them if they are more touring oriented than sport oriented.

I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and I find the legroom to be quite generous for such a sporty bike. Someone 7" shorter with 4" less inseam would surely have much more legroom.

Stock bars needing risers? At 5'6" your reach issue seems to make sense as you probably have shorter arms, but I found the stock bars too high and angled oddly, and did Cooldaddygroves' famous Speedy Moto clip on mod that slightly lower the bars and give them a more natural and sportier angle.
ykun likes this.

2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - Akrapovič Racing Line Full Exhaust; BMC Air Filter; Corbin Saddle; CRG LS 2.2 Mirrors; Driven Grips; Driven PAIR Block Off Plates; Dunlop Q3+ Tires (190/55 rear); GPR V4S Steering Stabilizer; Kawasaki Frame Sliders; Mirror Block Offs; Moto Dynamic Fender Eliminator; Moto Dynamic Integrated Taillight; MRA Racing Double Bubble Screen; ProGrip Tank Pad; R&G Racing Engine Covers; Speedy Moto Tall Boy 50mm Clip Ons; Woolich ECU Tuning With Race Tools And Quickshifter.

Last edited by tyrmeltr; 09-06-2019 at 06:28 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 PM
57x

I am 5'10" and a 31" inseam. I cannot imagine how lower pegs would work/help.

I think it handled fine. I had other suspension design gripes, but that has been beat to death. I came off bigger bikes with a Connie, ZX14, ZX12R as well as ZX7s and prefer the heavier steering (and the associated stability). I won't take a squirrelly R6 to the corner for gas.

My Ninja 1000 is gone and I haven't rode my girlfriend's 2015 N1K in a while. That will change soon as her's is getting a set of Angel's with a 55 rear tire and a shock soon.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 11:22 AM

I still cant believe we dont have some type of adjustment available...bars, pegs, or seat height. I'm 5'10" , but my legs are short. I need 31 or 32 in long pants. The ninja fits me very well, and I like the bars as is. Especially after switching to the non rubber topped pegs. That's a cheap and easy way to slightly lower peg position. That's a good mod since it really does not lower anything except the peg tops. Google "zx10 pegs" to get an idea of why this helps.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 12:36 PM

RC you have adjustment, adjust the valves lol.
rcannon409 likes this.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Bridgestone S21's
post #8 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerod View Post

[SIZE=3]

Lower controls need to be lowered more. Need more legroom. Legs felt cramped were uncomfortable as ride went longer. Will purchase Motowerk’s.

Well if you want to lower the pegs, and even have the option to move them further back (which I found provided a lot more leg room, plus a better leg position), try a set of rearsets. I just sold my 2017 N1K, and removed the Lightech rearsets and putting them up for sale
rcannon409 likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmark101 View Post
Definitely switch out the rear tire for a 190/55 before doing any suspension mods. It will make a big difference in the way the bike handles.
Thx Johnmark101.

Yes, read all about the 55 tire & how by raising the rear end it enables the bike to turn. The first week I had the bike I had the SAG setup correctly by a shop that specializes in suspensions & now on the 50 the bike turns with ease!
post #10 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldaddygroove View Post
Well if you want to lower the pegs, and even have the option to move them further back (which I found provided a lot more leg room, plus a better leg position), try a set of rearsets. I just sold my 2017 N1K, and removed the Lightech rearsets and putting them up for sale

CDO,

Thanks, I saw all your goodies for sale. I added the Motowerks extenders already & they have given me that little extra leg room I needed & are working well. Adjusting the brake light to get it to light up with a light touch was another story altogether, but all's well now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page