Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Give me a home amongst the Gum Trees

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Rickifumi 
#1 ·
Awesome mid week ride with the bike in it’s final ( yea right ) set up.
Here in Victoria Australia
Mountain roads amongst the Gum Trees, Tree ferns & Wallaby,s.
Still cool here, while the other half of the place is on fire 🔥!!
Makes me wonder ?
What are the poor people are doing today, the ones without our affliction
Sad them & they don’t even realise

Vehicle Trail Motorcycle Road Jungle

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not quite so lucky, but there are some advantages. With weather like this, I dont have to worry about being bitten by a Puff Adder, inland Taiwan, or Tiger snake . They are all frozen....

Attachments

#4 ·
I'd post a picture but it's too dark cold and rainy to go out and take one... :(

2 years ago everything from California to Canada was burning on the west coast. Every ride was prefaced by looking at roads closed or close to fires...
But the snow will melt, the passes will open and the fun will continue...

Attachments

#7 ·
Great photos U guys.
Can u ship some snow down here please.
Was just checking & there’s been six & a half MILLION acres burnt here ! & were only into the start of our summer season
Into the 40,sC next week here too.
Doesn’t California have a lot of Australian Gum trees ? They wouldn’t help your fires.
Amazing things, those Ericsson sky cranes

Attachments

#13 ·
Doesn’t California have a lot of Australian Gum trees ? They wouldn’t help your fires.
Amazing things, those Ericsson sky cranes
Jay, here in California we call 'em eucalyptus trees, and yes they are plentiful! I have a grove of 'em across the road in fact. They were a major contributor to the disastrous Oakland Hills firestorm of 1991. In the mountains they are much less common, or even non-existent, due to the prolonged cold periods.

Ericsson Skycranes? Got those too. In fact, last year one was called in to fight a hillside brushfire behind my neighborhood. His low approaches came right over my house, rattling walls and windows. On one pass, some water dribbling from the suction hose fell on me. Did I say he was close?

#8 ·
I'm not a tree expert.

I do know California has a ton of California Pepper Trees (my fav), Eucalyptus Trees, and giant Redwood trees. But the environment in CA is really designed by nature to burn in order to destroy and renew. Nothing can really be done except stop the continued development and/or start controlled fires to reduce fuel for natural fires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.