Hybrid Exhaust - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Hybrid Exhaust

2013 with 2014 mufflers on an Akrapovic dual headpipe.

So the local LEO's are big on ticketing for any loud bikes and are very liberal with their tickets. So, stock mufflers thus far have kept me ticket free. But I wanted to do something a bit different so I went with a set of the new style stock cans. Instead of running the heel guards, I cut all the brackets off and polished the edges of the crappy factory welds under there. Also removed the right hand exhaust valve completely.

Sounds a little louder than the previous gen cans. The new cans are a little lighter, too. Total weight reduction came in at just over 4 pounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190701_134033.jpg (196.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190701_134113.jpg (228.2 KB, 38 views)
gilcon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 02:22 PM

So that's what it looks like without its skirt on!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:26 PM

Garage
I have played with combining a mixture of the following.
Akrapovic header and mid pipe to Urban Brawlers. (Very loud and raspy)
Akra header and a modified stock underbelly (takes the place of the mid pipe) to Urban Brawlers. (Deep and somewhat loud)
Akra header and mid pipe to stock cans (Deeper yet and just loud enough) wich for sound is my favorite 80% of the time.

6-25-2016, New 2015N1K, now w/43000 and updated regularly
Ivan's, Barringed up, Yoshi tail tidy, Akra header to a modified underbelly exhaust and Urban Brawlers, Profile bi lens LED projectors, white / amber switchback marker / blinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 PM

That's the route I went with on my 2017. As I get older, the more and more I find obnoxiously loud bikes annoying and adolescent.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:34 PM

I like the stock look. This set-up has 75% of the weight loss, 100% of the performance, and the cost is not that much more than a slip on system that does nothing for performance. It would take someone who really knows the topic to see it's not legal.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 PM

I like that too. I'm looking for a Slightly deeper tone, but don't want it very loud. Was looking into the Delkevic carbon fiber slip ons, and now may look into modifying the stock like this.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:02 PM

Garage
I am planning a decat with the stock header pipes and stock mufflers, lets see how that sounds. If I feel that it is not enough after that, then will get a pair of slip-ons..

Ride hard, ride safe.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Goatdriver, google Jonathan Long's You Tube video of his 2018 when he upgraded to the Leo Vince slip ons. THey look great and sound very close to stock.

Someone here mentioned, maybe Kenors, the N1k's double cat under the engine does a lot of the muffling. So even if you remove the mufflers it's not so loud, and most slip ons won't be either. I've heard the N1k's with the Vance & Hines Urban Brawlers and they sound a little deeper yet are not loud at all. But I do believe the V&H UB's are meant to be mild also.

There's another guy on You Tube who has a silver 2018 who put a full Delkevic on his bike. Google that...I think it's Stormtrooper....Ninja I can't remember exactly. His videos will pop up. The exhaust also looks great, although he got very little hp gain from it. Something ridiculous like 4-5 rwhp with a full system with cat delete.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:29 PM

I take things back regarding StormtrooperNinja. It was NOT a Delkevic, it was a Black Widow exhaust.
rcannon409 likes this.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

So I got a chance to put a few miles on the new mufflers.

Sound: From the riders perspective, no difference from the old cans. As mentioned before, they sound slightly different when standing next to the bike.

Power : Maybe a bit......but probably not.

Smoothness / vibration : there is a noticeable improvement. Nothing huge but a noticaeble , very pleasant surprise. I'd love to cut open an old muffler and a new one to see what they did. Being lighter, I was expecting more vibes, not less.

Pretty happy with this mod overall....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in