Finally let my beloved honda cbr go today - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 284Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3518 Old 08-05-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Finally let my beloved honda cbr go today

Finally sold my cbr 500r today, the ninja looks lonely in the stable now. But it just sit there not getting the treatment it deserved. But the pretty little gal that bought it i believe will make sure it gets rode alot. She had on short shorts and flip flops and said can i ride it and im like please god no all i could picture was her laying it down and burnning holes in them pretty legs, but she survived and said its sold. I went on to lecture her about wearing riding gear and she said i know then started showing me the scars on her legs and back where she crashed her ninja 250. Said she was going to take it easy on it for awhile then as she turned on the main road i herd the two brothers exhaust singing as she was pinning it through the gears. I was thinking i hope she makes it home. The funny thing when they pulled up they was trying buy my ninja also and i said its not for sale. On the brighter side the ZX14r could turn into a reality now if i loose my mind lol.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Mark, if a person drives by our local college, it appears flip flops and shorts are the official outfit, go figure.

In our area, there are a lot of discounted, brand new zx14's for sale.

I prefer a smaller, lighter bike, but would still love to have one. The engine is the highlight, but everything else is good, too.
post #3 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 10:04 AM

I kicked around the ZX idea allot before I got the Ninja, and still do, but it just seems like too much work to make it right. Then there's the cost to insure, fuel and re-tire. It's that perfect sport tourer size though and if you lose the cans and cat and drop the weight down to 550 it starts to become more appealing.

I came very close to trading my Ninja in recently as I got Day Tripper'itus, and I don't mean that as a knock on Day. But at the end of the day you just can't beat 518 lbs. with 140 HP with good ergos. My cars been in the shop for a few days so It's been all Ninja and I have to say I've re-bonded with it.

ON another note did you get a pic of that little thing in shorts Mark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I kicked around the ZX idea allot before I got the Ninja, and still do, but it just seems like too much work to make it right. Then there's the cost to insure, fuel and re-tire. It's that perfect sport tourer size though and if you lose the cans and cat and drop the weight down to 550 it starts to become more appealing.

I came very close to trading my Ninja in recently as I got Day Tripper'itus, and I don't mean that as a knock on Day. But at the end of the day you just can't beat 518 lbs. with 140 HP with good ergos. My cars been in the shop for a few days so It's been all Ninja and I have to say I've re-bonded with it.

ON another note did you get a pic of that little thing in shorts Mark?
No rock i didnt but she is suppose to come back and get a few loose items ill be ready and get a picture when she does. Also like you and Rc was talking about the ZX14r i was looking at one listed at my dealer and just physically looking at it looked so bulky, thats one thing i like about the ninja 1000 is its relatively light, plus most of my riding is on curvey mountain roads so i might not like that extra weight in those driving conditions especially riding 2 up. Evidentally im pretty sold on my ninja or i would of sold it yesterday when they was begging me to sell both my bikes. **** i guess i should of let it go its not often you run into somebody that has the kind of cash they had on them. But i didnt hesitate when i told them it wasnt for sale. right now im trying to fight off the urge to go to my dealer and jump on the ZX14, ive got a weakness for bikes lol. But it would be nice to have a kick ass bike that was more comfortable on longer trips.

2012 N1000 spark bl and gray ABS
Tail tidy
Urban brawlers
V/h DB killers sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Givi rack and topcase
Puig smoked wind screen
oem gel seat set
Rascal grafiks tank pad
Grip puppies
SW Motech ninja 1000 quick connect gps mount with navi bag
2014 air filter and holey bottom plate
Go Cruise Throttle lock
Ivans ECU flash
post #5 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 12:47 PM

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you are talking about the ZX14r, I have the opportunity to buy a leftover 2014 for 9500 OTD. Doesn't include tax and registration. Not my first choice in colors- matte black with red stripes. What do you think?

2013 BMW K1300S 30 YR Edition
2007 Honda 250 Crf250X

Past bikes
1972 Honda XL100
1974 Suzuki TM250
1974 Honda Elsinore250cr
1984 Honda Sabre v45
1986 Honda Sabre v65
1990 Harley 1200 Sporty
2003 Yamaha Vmax
2009 KTM 450 XCF -stolen
2011 Ninja N1k
Boy am I getting old.
post #6 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
No rock i didnt but she is suppose to come back and get a few loose items ill be ready and get a picture when she does. Also like you and Rc was talking about the ZX14r i was looking at one listed at my dealer and just physically looking at it looked so bulky, thats one thing i like about the ninja 1000 is its relatively light, plus most of my riding is on curvey mountain roads so i might not like that extra weight in those driving conditions especially riding 2 up. Evidentally im pretty sold on my ninja or i would of sold it yesterday when they was begging me to sell both my bikes. **** i guess i should of let it go its not often you run into somebody that has the kind of cash they had on them. But i didnt hesitate when i told them it wasnt for sale. right now im trying to fight off the urge to go to my dealer and jump on the ZX14, ive got a weakness for bikes lol. But it would be nice to have a kick ass bike that was more comfortable on longer trips.
When she asks you why you're taking pictures on her while she's turning around just tell her there's this depraved lunatic from NY named Rock who has specific needs and several issues

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I do a good deal of my riding on curvy mountain roads and enjoy that the most. However, I would like something comfortable on longer trips. That's why I was getting swayed by DT to take a look at the XR. It does all things competently. It's just too darn upright for me though. Unfortunately the Multistrada and the XR are the only bikes that are great everywhere. They're both ADV style upright, costly and in the Multi's case problematic. So that sort of counts them out for me.

I look at the FJR from time to time as I know it tours great and has almost the ergos I like, but then I"m like what am I going to do with that thing in the mountains. For the five or so long trips per year I take it's just not worth it. Sometimes I think I'll just get a used Vstrom as a brother for the NInja specifically for bad weather and trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since you are talking about the ZX14r, I have the opportunity to buy a leftover 2014 for 9500 OTD. Doesn't include tax and registration. Not my first choice in colors- matte black with red stripes. What do you think?
Great price. If you like the bike you can't beat it.
Mark59 likes this.
post #7 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 04:44 PM

Interesting discussion about the versatility of the Ninja 1000. I just completed a 2000 mile road trip in July (San Francisco to Whistler, British Columbia...and back) and then a 900 miler earlier this week (San Francisco to San Diego...and back). I really wanted to do some long travelling on the N1K.

I anticipated getting tired of touring on the N1K after a day or so. Not at all the case. I was very comfortable except for my right hand (no throttle lock at that point). It's not an FJR or a r1200rt, but I was more than happy with it. Now, I don't even hesitate to take it on full day road trips wherever I have to go. I may have an excuse to go back down to San Diego shortly, and if so, it will be on the N1K.

All that and performance in my beloved Santa Cruz Mountains as well. For at least the near term I can only have one bike. In that case the N1K wins over most other bikes.
sprockethead, Mark59 and juliang like this.
post #8 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 05:42 PM

Rock, the concours 14 is not a bad mountain bike. fjr is even a bit lighter...

I mean, you wont confuse either with a cbr1000rr, but, if the bags are removed,not half bad.

Great handling, really, but high effort, if that makes sense. It takes work, but the bikes will do it. I adjusted to its size and weight quickly.

I spent the summer of 2011 with the c14 as my only bike before the ninja, and never felt the need for something that handled better. Plus, it started to get much, much better when the riding was 30 miles away.

People toured on old yamaha xs 650 twins. We have it made, nowdays, in comparison.
post #9 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 05:43 PM

I should mention I have the following N1K mods relevant to long distance travel:
Sargent Seat
Puig smoke racing windscreen
Ivan's reflash of ECU
Pirelli Angel GT's (rear 55)

After I returned from Canada, I immediately ordered at Kaoko Throttle lock (it was a toss up between this and the Throttlemeister). I used it on my trip down to San Diego and it's a pleasure. Being able to rest my throttle hand is a big plus. It's certainly not as convenient as a true cruise control, and it's hard to get the right setting going uphill, but considerably better than nothing.

I intend to do a write up of lessons learned by a newbie jumping into N1K touring, but I keep getting sidetracked with life responsibilities
post #10 of 3518 Old 08-06-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Rock, the concours 14 is not a bad mountain bike. fjr is even a bit lighter...

I mean, you wont confuse either with a cbr1000rr, but, if the bags are removed,not half bad.

Great handling, really, but high effort, if that makes sense. It takes work, but the bikes will do it. I adjusted to its size and weight quickly.

I spent the summer of 2011 with the c14 as my only bike before the ninja, and never felt the need for something that handled better. Plus, it started to get much, much better when the riding was 30 miles away.

People toured on old yamaha xs 650 twins. We have it made, nowdays, in comparison.
I know what you mean RC, my sprint was the same way. It would do what you needed it to do in the twisties (albeit at a bit slower pace) but you had to work for it. Lots of weight shift and countersteering.
The Sprint, though 595lbs., had much steeper rake and less trail though. Very aggressive tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishikawa View Post
I should mention I have the following N1K mods relevant to long distance travel:
Sargent Seat
Puig smoke racing windscreen
Ivan's reflash of ECU
Pirelli Angel GT's (rear 55)

After I returned from Canada, I immediately ordered at Kaoko Throttle lock (it was a toss up between this and the Throttlemeister). I used it on my trip down to San Diego and it's a pleasure. Being able to rest my throttle hand is a big plus. It's certainly not as convenient as a true cruise control, and it's hard to get the right setting going uphill, but considerably better than nothing.

I intend to do a write up of lessons learned by a newbie jumping into N1K touring, but I keep getting sidetracked with life responsibilities
Ishi if you don't mind me asking, what's your size? Not that you dirty boy I mean weight and inseam I could never do the distance you've done on the Ninja. Maybe it just fits you better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page