Finding parts for the 2017?!? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 05-03-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Finding parts for the 2017?!?

I know that there's not a ton of us on here just yet, but for those with 2017's, where are you finding necessary parts? Searching for parts for a Ninja 1000 is already difficult enough to search for, but the 2017 seems impossible.

Things like exhaust systems, aftermarket windscreens (can you tint the factory with good results?), **fender eliminators**, etc.

Let's hear what you're doing for commonly replaced stuff!

Thanks,
-dan

(pic for attention, my bike)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninja1.jpg (484.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by WoLLyzor; 05-03-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Garage
What little I've gotten is been from Revzilla. From what I've seen, most parts from previous models fit (engine, exhaust) but the big changes are to the fairing. Thats a general statement so take it with a grain of salt.

I put Akra slip ons on and before I ordered them from Revzilla, I checked the manufactures website and they are much more up to date than internet superstores.

FWIW.

2017 Ninja 1000 ABS - "Damien"
2017 Honda Goldwing - "Bruiser"
2016 KLR650 - "Dusty"
2009 HD Ultra Classic - "Gem"

I'm about the ride....not the brand.
post #3 of 52 Old 05-04-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

That makes lot of sense. The big priority for me right now will probably be the fender eliminator. That fender is silly to the 10th degree. It ruins the entire aesthetic of the bike in my opinion. It must go.

I remember vaguely seeing your post about the exhausts. Were they hard to install? Being a slip on, did it just change the look/sound or were they power adders as well. Additionally, did you find that you need to run a power commander to maintain your performance? I'd like to be a bit louder without all the hassle of retuning things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 05-04-2017, 10:20 AM

We were up against the same thing when our 2011's were introduced.

Not so bad because the z1000 came out in 2010, so exhausts and such were out there.

At one time, you could not even buy a replacement rear shock and a new screen was a dream.

Give it 6 months. If the bike is even somewhat popular, you'll have it all available.
WoLLyzor likes this.
post #5 of 52 Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoLLyzor View Post
That makes lot of sense. The big priority for me right now will probably be the fender eliminator. That fender is silly to the 10th degree. It ruins the entire aesthetic of the bike in my opinion. It must go.

I remember vaguely seeing your post about the exhausts. Were they hard to install? Being a slip on, did it just change the look/sound or were they power adders as well. Additionally, did you find that you need to run a power commander to maintain your performance? I'd like to be a bit louder without all the hassle of retuning things.
They are a bit louder. I removed the baffles and its only slightly louder with a much nicer tone. Any real gains in sound are going to be a full exhaust replacement.

That being said, the Akra's were a breeze to put on. Less than an hour and part of that was going thru the directions and making sure i knew what I was doing. It supposeds adds a couple HP and a couple ft/lbs of torque. Since I put them on prior to the bike being broken in I can't tell you if the improvements other than sound are noticeable but now that its broken in, it does scoot pretty well.

The only difference in the install is the right side heat shield has changed how its attached compared to the 2016. Instead of two bolts holding the heat shield there was one bolt and some slider clips.

Take the confusion out of the mix and its a 30-45 minute job. Easy peasy.
WoLLyzor likes this.

2016 KLR650 - "Dusty"

post #6 of 52 Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 AM

Garage
Quote:

And in my checking, the fender eliminator still fits the 2017 but I've heard comments that its too high up on the fender which puts the license plate over the wheel. Not a big deal I guess unless you hit some good bumps then the back wheel will hit the license plate but thats just what I read.

I chose at this time not to get one although I may cut the reflector bracket off that goes below the plate on the stock fender.
WoLLyzor likes this.

2016 KLR650 - "Dusty"

post #7 of 52 Old 05-04-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Not silly to me. That rear fender makes perfect sense when using the OEM saddlebags. To each his/her own.
robertv19, WoLLyzor and DonRubicon like this.
post #8 of 52 Old 05-04-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
We were up against the same thing when our 2011's were introduced.

Not so bad because the z1000 came out in 2010, so exhausts and such were out there.

At one time, you could not even buy a replacement rear shock and a new screen was a dream.

Give it 6 months. If the bike is even somewhat popular, you'll have it all available.

Would it be safe to assume that most parts that are not obviously bike specific should be interchangeable between both models?
post #9 of 52 Old 05-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Well, the frame and engine is the same....footings and such appear to be as well.

Things to do with the plastic, or lights are an unknown. Tires, brakes, no problem....

Rear suspension appears to be updated. Probably a different leverage ratio.

The ecu is a unknown. I don't see old power commanders, or such working.
post #10 of 52 Old 05-05-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Well, the frame and engine is the same....footings and such appear to be as well.

Things to do with the plastic, or lights are an unknown. Tires, brakes, no problem....

Rear suspension appears to be updated. Probably a different leverage ratio.

The ecu is a unknown. I don't see old power commanders, or such working.

Awesome to know. Maybe I'll gamble with an eliminator for the 14-16 model years and hope for the best. |

I'm wondering if Ivan will release a tune for this thing. As silly as it sounds, I'm already wishing it had a bit more power. It's a stupid fast and fun bike but not quite as insane as I figured the jump from 600cc sport to 1000cc sport touring would be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page