Bar risers...murph kit or otherwise. - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-22-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bar risers...murph kit or otherwise.

I'm wondering who here has installed bar risers? I did buy a set of Murph Kit risers but haven't decided if I'm going to use them or not.

For those that have handlebar risers on your ninja.....pros? Cons?

To me it seems they would give me (6'0") a little more upright position as sometimes I feel like I still have a little too much weight on my wrists. But it seems like it would take away from getting my weight into it for going thru the curves.

Thoughts?

2017 Ninja 1000 ABS - "Damien"
2017 Honda Goldwing - "Bruiser"
2016 KLR650 - "Dusty"
2009 HD Ultra Classic - "Gem"

I'm about the ride....not the brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-22-2017, 06:11 PM

Don, one odd thing I've noticed.

When you see someone who has a broken clutch cable on a ninja/z 1000, there's about a 90% chance they will have risers.

I wonder if it's possible to source a longer clutch cable?

Otherwise, I'll bet it's a decent mod.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-22-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thats my other concern. While I haven't taken the stock bars off, it seems the murph risers, even tho saying no new cables needed, would make the cable (especially clutch) too tight/tense. And I sure don't want to replace all the cables for 1.5".

I'll just have to go faster so the wind holds me up better.

2016 KLR650 - "Dusty"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 PM

no problems whatsoever with any cables with these risers

Sold '11 N1K red missed it bought, green '12 N1K
sargent seat
doubled fender extender
murphs risers
shorty levers
tail tidy
mich PR4's
rear fender extension
16t oem sprocket
Urban Brawlers w/ inserts
led marker lites
puig screen
V stream touring screen
mra mini screen
rear spools
rim tape
gel grips
grip puppy
H7 headlite upgrade
euro Z1000sx decals/ninja delete
arbox mod,block off plates
blinker genies with lED yellow front turn sigs
always on, blink for turns
post #5 of 26 Old 04-22-2017, 08:27 PM

Don, wait a minute...you have a 17 with the assist slipper clutch.

That clutch is so easy to pull, it should last 200 years. Assum8ng length is good.
DonRubicon likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-22-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Don, wait a minute...you have a 17 with the assist slipper clutch.

That clutch is so easy to pull, it should last 200 years. Assum8ng length is good.
Thats my only concern is length.

yeah....i know...its a 10 minute install and I can change it back in a heartbeat.

Just haven't gotten there. It does bug me that the windscreen won't be able to go all the way down unless I get a different one....which I'm looking into. I would like a little more coverage in the mid/upper position. But i don't want it to look goofy.
rcannon409 likes this.

2016 KLR650 - "Dusty"

post #7 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 12:56 AM

I installed Murph's Risers almost immediately after I bought my 2015. Never regretted the mod even a moment. It improved the ergonomics for me immensely. The only issue is that the clutch cable gets a little tight with the added height of the grips. But I just moved the clutch cable out of the wire basket (where all the cables and wires are routed down the handlebars) and put it behind the wire closer to the handlebars. Rerouting the clutch cable that way shortened the distance the cable had to go and slackened it just enough that the problem was solved -- 34,000 miles and many shifts later, still works perfectly.

I also changed to a National Cycle VStream Sport Touring wind screen. I works great with the risers in the middle position, which gives the best combination of wind flow and protection. It's getting a little pitted now, but I'll buy another. It's a good choice.
DonRubicon likes this.

Last edited by omniron; 04-23-2017 at 01:00 AM.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniron View Post
I installed Murph's Risers almost immediately after I bought my 2015. Never regretted the mod even a moment. It improved the ergonomics for me immensely. The only issue is that the clutch cable gets a little tight with the added height of the grips. But I just moved the clutch cable out of the wire basket (where all the cables and wires are routed down the handlebars) and put it behind the wire closer to the handlebars. Rerouting the clutch cable that way shortened the distance the cable had to go and slackened it just enough that the problem was solved -- 34,000 miles and many shifts later, still works perfectly.

I also changed to a National Cycle VStream Sport Touring wind screen. I works great with the risers in the middle position, which gives the best combination of wind flow and protection. It's getting a little pitted now, but I'll buy another. It's a good choice.
I concur w/everything he just said. The Murph risers added a significant amount of comfort for my aging, beat up shoulders. Ditto for the V-Stream.
Lee
post #9 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm in my early 50's and suffer from idiot drunk driver syndrome. (Bad accy in my car with a drunk driver about 20 years ago - oh and to top it off....she was trying to kill herself.....thanks b*tch)

I'll throw em on! Sounds like just my kinda ride....and took care of concerns!!
rcannon409 likes this.

2016 KLR650 - "Dusty"

post #10 of 26 Old 04-23-2017, 03:47 PM

I just put mine on a few days ago and i bought my bike a couple weeks ago. I came from an NC700x and was comfortable with the upright seating. The N1K isnt bad but i wanted just a little more. Murphs fixed it for me. Yes, cables are tight but works.

Others have suggested or tried to shave them down bit so you can adjust the brake and clutch levers with a lower slope. If you use the Murphs, and want use the pins, the levers are just about parallel with the ground. Not bad and are manageable but i might shave them down a bit later . Some just dont use the pins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page