Scala Rider PACKTALK - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Location: Call East Texas home, working in Baytown but it changes every so often.
Scala Rider PACKTALK

Anyone have experience with these? I've not updated me headset in so long that the one I have says Motorola on it. Haven't used it in 4 or 5 years and pretty much just listen to music on Bluetooth ear buds or when pushing it get a indorphen high off the sound of the open exhaust.
Have tried a Sena 10 something or another a friend loaned me but it cut out because people keep blasting off so that got old plus the hard wired speakers worked about as good as a screen door on a submarine. Saw a Sena 20 and it had a audio jack so that would let me use ear buds but it had the in connection loss issue also.
The Pack Talk is supposed to have some tech that let's it connect with up to 15 headsets and change between them at will plus 3 pieces of equipment I think it said.
That I think would be worth the coin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Me and two others had the Sena 20s (their top of the line) for about a year or so. They worked great for individual use, such as listening to music and getting gps audio. We ended up all getting rid of them because they dropped out constantly. Sena was of no help and told me that drop outs were considered normal, even if the two riders were all within 30 feet of each other and riding through open farmland with no other sources of interference. It got to be such a distraction to wonder if the headsets were connected, because whenever people aren't talking you have no idea if the headsets had lost connection. Long story short, we all got Cardo Packtalks and have been incredibly happy with them. They have never dropped a connection, and their ability to automatically connect people whenever they are in range is fantastic. On top of that, they are waterproof and the Sena units are not. If big range is important to you, you should know that neither the Cardo nor the Sena units get anywhere close to their advertised range. If you have a reasonable line of sight to the other rider, you should have a connection, but it doesn't go more than 1/3 of a mile probably.

Any other questions, let me know!
Avintage69 likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Location: Call East Texas home, working in Baytown but it changes every so often.
jonlong

Thank you for the information, might I also ask if what I read was true about the Packtalk reestablishing coms between riders if the link is broken or someone in the group drops off automatically or did I read to much into their double talk? They referred to it as Dynamic Meshwork Communication. (DMC) I think?

Is it not sad that companies still try and us best case laboratory scenarios to sale their items.

Motorcycling is not of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however extremely unforgiving of - INATTENTION, IGNORANCE, OVERCONFIDENCE AND STUPIDITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 02:56 PM

We ride with the Scala Q3's and have tried to get them working with 4 riders. Not easy and I've not had it work correctly yet. I came across the PackTalk version while researching how to connect riders 3 and 4 to the other two units (Q3 can talk to three other riders, 4 riders in all, and it's always 1-1). If I understand PackTalk correctly, that's what I would have rather had...a community conversation instead of switching 1-1 all of the time, and failing at that.

But good for music and phone calls...
post #5 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM

The Packtalks are seamless in their ability to pick up dropped riders. The way my buddy and I use ours, we often meet at some common point and we both have our headsets on. As soon as they are in range, they are connected. If one of us gets stopped at a red light and loses connection, they automatically reconnect within range. It works as well as advertised.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Question

jonlong
Thanks again for the feed back. It looks like your thinking about or at least looking into a Ninja purchase is that correct? Start a thread in introduce yourself lots of very descant, and helpful riders here. A couple have been on their N1Ks for quite a while and will answer any straight forward question- so fire away.

Cheers
Kenneth

Motorcycling is not of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however extremely unforgiving of - INATTENTION, IGNORANCE, OVERCONFIDENCE AND STUPIDITY.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlong View Post
Me and two others had the Sena 20s (their top of the line) for about a year or so. They worked great for individual use, such as listening to music and getting gps audio. We ended up all getting rid of them because they dropped out constantly. Sena was of no help and told me that drop outs were considered normal, even if the two riders were all within 30 feet of each other and riding through open farmland with no other sources of interference. It got to be such a distraction to wonder if the headsets were connected, because whenever people aren't talking you have no idea if the headsets had lost connection. Long story short, we all got Cardo Packtalks and have been incredibly happy with them. They have never dropped a connection, and their ability to automatically connect people whenever they are in range is fantastic. On top of that, they are waterproof and the Sena units are not. If big range is important to you, you should know that neither the Cardo nor the Sena units get anywhere close to their advertised range. If you have a reasonable line of sight to the other rider, you should have a connection, but it doesn't go more than 1/3 of a mile probably.

Any other questions, let me know!
My experience with the SENA 20 has been the pleasant opposite of yours. Did you update the firmware on the SENA units? Early versions may have been more susceptible to dropouts, but the last three firmware updates have eliminated that issue and greatly improved voice quality. We have had as many as 5 connected on rides with no dropouts at all, even spread out on the highway. Our method of pairing units is to use the "daisy chain" rather than the the group. With the group, one unit has to handle all the traffic. By pairing in sequence - bike A to bike B, bike B to bike C, bike C to bike D, etc. -- the handling of the BlueTooth network is distributed more evenly. On roads with curves, as opposed to straight open areas, there is the occasional drop out when we lose line of sight, but the units connect again automatically. I think SENA is by far the better unit in its technology, as well as ergonomically.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 AM

I used to ride with SCSB before I moved to NC. We had around 10 rides that are on Packtalk and I can say we never had any problems. The unit actually remembers everyone in the group and just simply hook up into the network once in range. The range on both Packtalk and S20 are good enough but nowhere near what they say on the box.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Garage
This is interesting news for me, too. I have the Sena SMH10s that I bought ~1.5 years ago. I haven't used them a TON, but I did use them on my trip to Seattle/BC last year with great success. I tested the range, which was definitely up to 1/3 of a mile and was very impressed by the battery life (generally lasted more than a full day of riding/talking). I'm a little anxious to see how the batteries have fared not being used a lot since last year, but otherwise haven't had issues with them cutting out or dying at all.

I have not checked to see what firmware they're running. Perhaps they have a later one because I purchased them recently?

From the point of ignition to the final drive
The point of the journey is not to arrive
post #10 of 14 Old 06-15-2017, 10:55 AM

Not sure why Jonlong only gets 1/3 of a mile range on his SENA. I have never heard of that before, I've been using SENA 10 since it came out and ride with quite a few other riders on Sena 10's and 20's. Range in a straight line if up to a km. And what is this dropped connection issue? People drop when they they get too far away, and reconnect when they are back in range.

Staying up to date on firmware updates makes a big difference.

As for speakers, well, anyone who is serious about music/comms while riding wears custom molded earplugs, dual or triple drivers) and plugs them in to the SENA as the speakers are useless at anything more that city riding speeds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page