rear wheel stand and or spools, newb needs help - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
rear wheel stand and or spools, newb needs help

I picked up front head stand and rear stand today. can't get the rear to work. ok,, its the cheap trackside stuff haha. the problem turned out to be two things. 1, the ninja swing arm spools are located under the swing arm and don't stick out far enough for the stand fork to engage them properly and the spools are tiny as ****. 2. every pic of a bike on a stand I have seen shows the rear brake caliper on top of swing arm out of the way, I can barely get the stand to clear our bottom hanging calipers and the spool is right next to our caliper.
whats going on here. ?????????????
pic of stand I got
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rears.jpg (46.6 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by gonzosc1; 03-02-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM

You can adjust the width of the stand to match the location of the spools. The N1K is a bit of a pain since the spools are too low IMO. I usually hold the bike close to upright while I slide the stand under the spools. If you have the stock fender, there's a good chance it will be in the way as well.
Ishikawa and gonzosc1 like this.
post #3 of 41 Old 03-02-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yep fender end was just in the way but It moves out of the way very easy with free hand. the fender will be coming off. I did just now find a big thread about the spools and stands. seems that kawasaki didn't think this part through at all. went to a few sites looking at stands and it appears that most are the same design inside of a certain price point. I see what you mean about holding bike upright to engage the spools as I think about it. I guess I could cut the stand spool slot forks down so they don't scrape up the side and bottom of the swing arm while still engaging the spools. its crazy that something so simple is a complete PITA...............................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 PM

gonzosc1,,,,Ive got the identical stand,. seems to work very well,. Minor adjustments are required to get the correct spool alignment,,.
As Luciano has pointed out,. Putting a board under your side stand so the bike is close to upright helps and careful align before you lift to avoid scratching the swing-arm,,.
gonzosc1 likes this.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl
post #5 of 41 Old 03-02-2017, 05:41 PM

On a side note, my spools stick out far enough so I don't touch/scratch the swing arm. Can't remember what brand they are but they came with spacers for that purpose. I also have a Pit bull height adjustable stand with removable arm, which makes it much easier to clear the stock fender.
gonzosc1 likes this.
post #6 of 41 Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ok, I'll give it a try. I still may cut the spool forks down a bit. if you got this stand you know those spool forks are like 1 1/2 - 2 inches high. stabbing my ninja in the nut sac lol
post #7 of 41 Old 03-02-2017, 06:25 PM

My spools are Pit Bull,,that stay on,,,,,,,,,,,,The swing arm to the outside of spool is approx 1/2 inch clearance on either side,,. Ive put electrical tape on the spool forks to avoid scratches however if the bike is close to upright its less of an issue,,. The reason the forks are as long as they are is to give you latitude when aligning & lifting,. If they are short you risk slipping off the spool and possible knocking the bike over,,. I'm new to any rear stand and Ive found after a couple of uses its quite functional,,. I use my spare arm to the grab bar on the side stand side,,,,,,,, in case it does slip off the spool you can balance it back to the stand,,. Block the front wheel,,.
Handle takes a bit of getting used to as well,,.
gonzosc1 likes this.

Lag 4
2016 N1K,,Gry/Blk
Ceramic Coated Header with Urban Brawlers
OEM Gel Seat & Cowl
post #8 of 41 Old 03-03-2017, 06:22 PM

Just a reminder on spols. If you have a stock exhaust, large spools will often times hit the exhaust.

When that happens, it can rip the spool off the swing arm. Look for marks, or lay a straight edge down to make sure they won't hit when the swing arm moves.

MINI SPOOLS ONLY WITH STOCK EXHAUST. search "ketei mini spool" 10.99 at motorcycke super store

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...wingarm-spools

Be advised, the spool size changed in 2014, I believe....I think it was a 10mm , then dropped to 8mm..or such. The bike year is important.
post #9 of 41 Old 03-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
Just a reminder on spols. If you have a stock exhaust, large spools will often times hit the exhaust.

When that happens, it can rip the spool off the swing arm. Look for marks, or lay a straight edge down to make sure they won't hit when the swing arm moves.

MINI SPOOLS ONLY WITH STOCK EXHAUST. search "ketei mini spool" 10.99 at motorcycke super store

Keiti Mini Swingarm Spools - Motorcycle Superstore

Be advised, the spool size changed in 2014, I believe....I think it was a 10mm , then dropped to 8mm..or such. The bike year is important.
To add to rcannons post, the link he provided is exactly what I am using on my 2015 N1K with stock exhaust. I put in the year make and model of my bike and it came back with 8mm which is correct for a 2015 (learned the hard way). Be sure you get the Keiti mini spools as the Keiti regular size spools are too long to clear the stock exhaust (also learned the hard way). FYI I use the Pit Bull rear track stand with adjustable forks.

hope this helps.
gonzosc1 likes this.
post #10 of 41 Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 PM

Similar to what Luciano said, I find that two hockey pucks stacked under the kick stand is just about perfect (on a stock bike) for bringing it almost level before putting it on the rear track stand. On mine it brings it to the point where the bike still leans to the left (kick stand side) so you can take your hands off it for a second.

Good Luck!
gonzosc1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page