New Gaskets Needed for Akra Headers? - Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

New Gaskets Needed for Akra Headers?

Hi Guys,

I only have about a 1000 miles on my bike. I just purchased the Akra headers and was wondering if I still needed to order new exhaust gaskets for the install or if you think the ones on the bike will be fine due to the low mileage? Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-17-2017, 12:02 PM

Im at about 50/50 in using these header gaskets a second time.

When you get then, new, they are about 1/4 in thick. Im probably exaggerating, but very thick.

When you tighten the header, they smash to about1/2 of what they were. In that respect, time means very little in how they may seal again.

Odds are, you will be ok using them again. However, if even one leaks, you will need to remove the entire system to replace it.

I think you can get a full set, on ebay, for @ 12.00-15.00. Much less than the time you would need to remove your new system and replace them.

Again, real good chance you can get by, but I always change mine just because if the pita factor in replacign them if something goes wrong.

If they leak, your bike will always crack and pop, no matter what you do.

For best results, replace them and tighten. After a few hundred miles be sure and tighten them, again.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-17-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Good call. What would be the key word or part number to search on Ebay? I thought they'd be quite a bit more expensive than that. I will purchase a set for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-17-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

One more question...I have Extra Pressure Moly Grease. Will that work to apply to the gaskets? Or should I go buy Anti Seize or Wheel Bearing Grease? Thanks again!
post #5 of 9 Old 06-18-2017, 09:31 AM

If you keep drilling down on gasket number 11060-1103, its been around longer than most ninja 1000 owners.

Ebay has a ton of aftermarket gaskets. Te real, oem kawasaki gaskets are lit priced at 5,78 each.

When I bought mine I dropped that number in ebay, and bought what ever looked decent quality. I like the choice of your moly grease.

Grease is nice because it holds the new gasket in place. Its just way to much fun to install your new header and look down to see one brand new gasket laying on the ground.

Thats how I ended up fairly competent in installing headers on this bike! Doing it twice is good for muscle memory.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks RC. I didn't find much on Ebay. It's either $31 for a set of 4 with shipping. Or I found these...

EXHAUST PIPE HOLDER GASKET Fits KAWASAKI 11060-1103 | eBay

Any thoughts on quality?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Those look ok, Im sure they would work just fine...still, if Im paying that much, I'll go here and get the real ones. Only the shipping would cost more, but still, its well worth having good parts.

11060-1103 GASKET,EXHAUST PIPE H
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for that. I checked Partzilla but it wasn't showing me the prices. Order is placed. Crisis averted. Enjoy your Sunday, and happy Father's Day.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 AM

Please do keep in mind, I am being a puss...I'm advising you as if I worked at a shop and dont want a come-back.

Odds are, you can reuse your stock gaskets. In fact, it may be worth trying it as long as you are not minding the chance of digging back in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page